Monday, June 1, 2020

"I Don't See Color" is Wrong

The best I've read was sent by our Pastor (click here to read from the National Catholic Reporter)

And here is what our Pope is saying

And here is the amazing CNN Town Hall Sesame Street. Here is another look at it

"... we cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism and exclusion in any form and yet to claim to defend the sacredness of every human life."

Don't raise color blind children.

Look around your home library. Who are the characters? Are they mostly white? Or do your picture books and chapter books in your home have black characters, strong female characters, Latino characters, Asian characters, Mexican characters, Indian characters and more? My home library needs more work. I know that because I know what is published. We have to strive and try to have more diverse books for our children because it is not balanced in the publishing world.

Are the shows they watch filled with children of white privilege? Do you know fully what white privilege is? If not, educate yourself. And then educate them.

My little family is mulitracial and I am beyond proud that that is the picture God painted for us.

Raising a Chinese daughter gives me a unique perspective - she is not black and I will never understand what they go through on a daily basis. But I do understand what it is like to have a child of a different race and the challenges it brings to her life because she is not white. She is passionate about race. And before this all started she was angered by racism.

I think we need to be angered by those who think they are not racist but live isolated in their private white privileged worlds that they don't even see race.

Do they feel bad about the tragic death this week? Of course they do. But then they go on leading their only white lives.

Don't tell them "I just don't see color" and think you are saying something good.

That's wrong.

It's a lie.

See the color.

And learn how to talk to your child about race.

Stand against racism.

And stand against our leaders who are racist.

Stand for inclusion.

And stand for the black community.

Click here for an article from the National Catholic Reporter. So well done.



No comments:

Post a Comment