Thursday, June 4, 2020

Abigail is Thirteen

How is it possible that I have a darling thirteen year old? I do, I do! And I'm so glad that all of those years ago God blessed me in that hospital room with a tiny, quiet, baby girl -- a sister for Anna! I couldn't have been more thrilled!

That baby grew and grew (well maybe not grew and grew - just the age and numbers went up) and now here she is a teenager. I couldn't adore her more.

She turned thirteen in the middle of this crazy time, May 18, when were were still (and still are) not seeing anyone, going anywhere, being ultra careful in the middle of this Covid-19 time.

But we celebrated her B I G because that's what we do here for birthdays.

Long gone are the big girly parties with all of the girls from the class. I planned, hosted, and dreamed those up Kindergarten through fifth grade (all of elementary school). But that didn't stop me for making sure the day was ultra special for my little Abigial.

I started preparing the birthday dinner the night before - she wanted (always wants) chicken pot pie.

So that evening I made the pie crust for the pot pies.

1

And I started her cake. Oh goodness I do love making challenging birthday cakes. It's not everyday there is a birthday around here. So when it is one I hand that birthday person my 'birthday cakes' cookbook and tell them to pick anything they want out of it.

She picked a rolled ice cream cake.

So the night before I sifted everything together...

2

... and whipped the egg yolks.

3

I sifted again...

4

... and whipped up soft peaks.

5

Before I knew it I was softening icecream (non dairy) over my cake. And holding my breath as I rolled it up and put it in the freezer for the night.

22

And then this started... first some explanation!

So when I realized that Abigail's birthday was going to happen during our whole 'at-home' time I thought 'what can I do to make that day special?'

All I could think of were little ideas. One Anna would be good at. One for sure could be from her daddy... but nothing B I G.

Then I realized that all of those things added up to S O M E T H I N G big!

So one night a few weeks before, after Abigail was sleeping for the night, I gathered Scott and Anna and told them that on May 18 were were all going to D O something special for her that day - an activity that seemed just for her!

Right away the ideas flew and we were ready!

So... back to her birthday... .

The night before (since we had so many ideas we had to start the night before) Anna started by giving Abigail an invitation.

(as she was getting ready)

6

SURPRISE ONE {from Anna}

"join me for a fun birthday party on the porch at 7:00 pm to celebrate your 13th birthday"

7

It was a smores party! Just for the two of them (and a mama who had to take pictures)

8

9

10

11

And T I M E with her big sister was all the happiness and joy she could have wanted on her birthday!

12

13

with gooeyness and melting chocolate mixed in of course.

14

After smores Abigail opened a card and present from Anna on the porch.

15

16

This present from Anna made her quite happy I'd say!

17

We saw this game a while back and Abigail always wanted it.

18

19

So we played that Smores game and it was so fun!

20

Another little surprise were new Pjs on her bed waiting for her that night.

21

And then she woke up on May 18th and was thirteen! She got to pick her breakfast of course.

I had decorated the table while she was sleeping and Scott decorated the porch with lanterns.

23

24

So festive for a birthday!

25

Outside her door was a present from me - one that my girls always get - something new to wear on their birthday!

26

It was a bit of a chilly day for a sleeveless dress but it worked with a jean jacket.

27

While I was taking pictures of Abigail, Scott was getting all set up for his special time with her.

28

SURPRISE TWO {from daddy}

He took her hand (gosh I missed that picture) and led her to a ladder

29

He told her to walk up.

30

So she did of course!

31

It led to a picnic on the roof! How sweet was that?

32

So so happy!

33

He had a blanket, pillows to sit on, a picnic basket, and a thermos filled with her favorite lunch!

34

35

I gave them their special time but spied for pictures of course!

36

Love these two!

37

Mama's turn!

SURPRISE three {from mama}

I decided to have a spa afternoon for my girl!

You'll have to picture the spa music because that's what made it delightful.

I had crushed ice and water (she loves water with crushed ice)

I told her she'd have to put on her bathrobe (just like a spa)

38

And she had a bubble bath for her feet and then I filed her nails and gave her a foot massage.

39

40

After she took 48 minutes to pick a nail color I painted her toes and hands.

41

And then it was time for dinner!

42

How we all loved celebrating this girl all day long! We love her so...

43

44

45

She blew candles and we cut the cake!

46

47

"It came out just like the picture mama!"

48

Ice cream roll cake with ganache.

49

50

Love that face!

51

And then it was time for presents! One great big box!

52

53

I wonder what could be inside...

54

One little peek and she KNEW!

55

Boy was she shocked!

56

And thrilled!

57

And in tears!

Now I still haven't taken a picture WHAT was inside that big box - I will tomorrow - for certain I will! It took her a few days to set it all up and I just forgot!

58

Birthday gifts from 'just leave it on the sidewalk' grandparents and cousins...

59

60

61

62

63

She was thrilled with so much love!

68

69

70


64

65

66

67

One thing I know for sure - she will not forget this birthday - not ever!

Happy birthday darling girl - we love you!

4 comments:

  1. I love this SO much. You guys came up with so many creative ideas! And I also love the cousins and grandparents driving by with homemade signs and balloons. Wonderful. Glad she had such a good thirteenth birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love all of the fun ideas you all came up with! What an amazing birthday for her. She definitely will never forget her thirteenth birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful and precious memories you've created for Abigail's 13th Birthday! Happy Birthday, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday beautiful girl! Wish we could have joined in on your celebration. What a fun day. She will definitely remember her 13th birthday...a day filled with love. You have given me an idea for Juliana's birthday next month.

    ReplyDelete