Friday, June 26, 2020

Things We'll Keep (3) - The Comfort of Together and Food

Oh goodness - I started these posts back here. Basically I've been noticing some things that we've been doing as a family since school stopped mid March. Some are things that just won't fit when life is fully opened up but some we've decided no matter what we'll be keeping. This is the 3rd I've shared on my blog. 

To me there is something cozy about things that take a while to cook. I love that dough has to rise. I love that sauce has to simmer for hours to thicken. It just feels homey that way.

So every Friday night since March 13 this is what we've done. And I'm quite certain that we'll do this forever (I'll just have to be more creative and make the dough and sauce on a Thursday evening once school starts in the fall.

It's simple really -- I made the homemade pizza dough. It rises for 2 hours.

4

I make the sauce. It simmers for 3 hours.

6

Scott creates the magic with it.

pizza bread 3

Sometimes pizza - sometimes pizza breads

Friday 2

Friday 4

Friday 5

Lately, we've really been loving pizza breads the most!

spinach and potato

bell peppers and onion

pepperoni of course

pizza bread 1

pizza bread 2

Then we all sit in the family room with a movie. I cover the coffee table with an oil cloth and we line up our plates, the warm sauce in cups, something yummy to drink... We've been taking turns picking since March 13 which has been fun!

Some of the movies/shows we've watched:

Back to the Future (daddy's pick)
National Treasure II (family pick)
Lady and the Tramp, live action (family pick)
Mary Poppins Returns (mama's pick)
Princess Bride (daddy's pick)
The Tale of Two Critters (mama's pick)
Hallmark Christmas movie (anna's pick)
Onward (Abigail's pick)
Mickey Mouse Cartoons (anna's pick)

There is no doubt that something that takes a lot of time of simmer, to rise, to craft tastes better to us. For some idealistic, romantic reason it is what makes this Friday evening meal so good. Not just so good because it 'tastes' so good. But so good for our souls once again to be connected. Right now {and during the distance learning season that was} we were already together all day, every day but I imagine that when we are back at school - this meal will be even more important to our family. And I plan on doing whatever I need to do to make it happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment