Friday, August 7, 2020

A Life Giving, Happy Home

You can not have a life giving home unless you first imagine it

What are the needs of my middle school child?
What are the needs of my high school child?
What are the needs of my tired, stressed, principal husband?
What comforts each one of them?

Proverbs 14:1 says

Every wise woman builds her house, but the foolish one tears it down with her own hands. 

That verse shows me that I have so much power with in - and so much choice. I can choose to build a family, a life, a legacy that is life giving or I can tear it down with critical words.

The three things I believe I can do are:

Plan for a home of life
Work for a home of life
Design a home of life

Loving my children in a way that builds healthy relationships is crucial.

I've had a lot of time in my house since March - not just physically IN my house but also within my house. I've found that the most successful days are the ones that I choose to remember how I want to build it, and to stay focused on the good, not the bad. I know that I set the tone for joy, for learning, for peace.

My home, if it is to be life giving needs to be thankful, prayerful, cozy, nourishing in both meals and in words, playful, and peaceful.

In order for me to be that to all three of the people I cherish, I need to spend time every day with the Lord. I need to read the Psalms and take note of every promise of God. I need to read the gospel of Matthew or John to see that Jesus wants to teach me. I need to read Philippians to note all the ways Paul tells me to follow in a life giving home. Seeking God is my daily treasure. I love the quiet- the house all to myself - the steaming cup of strong tea -

It is there that I find the ideas, the strength, the place I can build my house.

builds her house


3 comments: