Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Perfect Little New England Town

(me and my leaf craziness on the way home from Anna's Horse Show last Sunday... two videos that I should have posted back there.



~ Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love (of autumn) gives us a fairy tale ~



I need to start by saying that I thought the leaves were at their best... but as this particular week we are in the middle of right now... I know that these pictures were just under perfection. Right now, right now I am driving around in perfection of fall goodness. It's just amazing here... I need to keep my camera in the car and try to capture as the day unfolds but gosh so very much takes my breath away, that I'd be pulling over constantly to take pictures of trees laden with leaves against stone walls all day long and I'd never get to my schools or the girls schools.

But back to this sweet New England town.

Last Sunday after Anna's Horse Show (yesterdays post) we decided to take the 'long way home' and stop in our favorite town. Favorite in the fall (here we visited in 2014) and favorite at Christmas time (and here we visited and stayed over in 2014 for our 'Christmas Getaway Weekend')

It was a quiet day in Riverton and cloudy. But we had it all to ourselves.

48

Riverton, featured in Yankee Magazine this month said,

"The West Branch of the Farmington River - framed for trout fishing - surges through Riverton, just as it did in 1825, when it began powering the Hitchcock Chair factory. Then, "Hitchcocksville" was a booming stagecoach stop. Now Riverton is a village that time forgot. The 107-year-old Riverton Fair on Columbus Day weekend draws thousands of visitors- but midweek, this place can feel like yours alone. Sandwiches from the General Store will fuel you for explong American Legion and Peoples state forests, or keep you going till an early dinner at Sweet Pea's or a movies at Pleasant Valley Drive-in. The Old Riverton Inn opened it's doors in 1796 and is still in business."

Yes, back here (post) we bought a Hitchcock kitchen table and chairs.  I'm still in love with this table.  

16

14

2

Think of Riverton like the letter "T". Looking down the long mark that makes the "T" is this. A General Store that has photos in it of a day when it had horse and carriage 'parked' outside. The best, best, best, (I soooo wish I took a picture) deli sandwiches and soup. Mismatched tables and chairs. And charm, charm, charm. Oh how I love it, especially in the fall.

1

Top of the "T" looking down you can see the Old Riverton Inn at the end there.

2

We stayed there in 2014 for Christmas and just seeing it made me want to cancel the week and check in. Check in to old fashioned. A slower pace. And sweetness.

4 collage

Standing at the Old Riverton Inn, looking into town is School street.

3

And that's it. Except for Sweet Peas's Restaurant. Here's a picture of us there back in 2014.

(2014)

9 11 collage

(2014 Christmas Getaway Weekend)

12

For the rest of the afternoon we drove and yes, I am in awe of fall in New England.



We stopped at Peoples State Forest Parks along the way.

7 collage

5 collage

6

We hiked down here just a bit

12

to take photos...

8

and to see this... Connecticut in October.

10

11

It was a joyful afternoon

9 collage

where magic is happening all around. Look at this... you just can't make it up!

13

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it ~ R. Dahl

14

The fairies, as was their custom, clapped their hands with delight over their cleverness ~ JM Barrie

15 collage

Yes, perfectly, wonderful Sunday afternoon.

Delicious Autumn! My very soul is wedded to it ~ George Eliot







2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous little town! You are so lucky to be surrounded by so much charm. I just love that General Store, I'd spend all day just sitting out front happily watching the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dreamy.. what a cute little,town. When I think of New England I think of towns just like this town. How lucky you are to live in such a beautiful part of the country. I have always thought I was born on the wrong side of the country.

    ReplyDelete