I like to make these for after school snacks
Although they are wonderful with an afternoon cuppa tea. (I don't like something too sweet with my tea because it really takes away the taste of the tea)
They are great in lunchboxes or snacks that go to school.
I like to make a big ol batch of the dough on the weekend and pop em in the oven as needed. Because warm is even better.
Okay... here's the deal... they are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Yes, they are healthy.
We are not a gluten free family. (I love my bagels from the Jewish family NYC deli down the street... most amazing bagels in the entire world)
But we are a dairy free (milk, butter, cheese, etc), soy free, nut free, peanut free family. Because of her EoE. (yes, Anna and Scott have cheese)
So these are perfect. They just 'happen to be gluten free' but like I said, we are not a gluten free family.
They sure are good.
Here's the recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a large bowl whisk 2 eggs until well combined.
3. Add 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
4. Add 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
5. Add 2 very ripe, mashed bananas.
6. Add 1/4 cup almond butter (we add sunflower butter because of a nut allergy)
7. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla
8. Whisk to combine.
9. Add 2 cups oat flour
10. Add 2 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats
11. Add 1/3 cup ground flax seed
12. Add 1/4 tsp baking powder
13. Add 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life brand)
14. Stir together gently
15. Spoon heaping tablespoons of the dough onto baking sheets (top with additional chocolate chip
16. Bake for 12 minutes, serve warm.
And here's another thing... they ate all of the pretty ones before I could take a picture... sorry.
And one more thing... yes, I know I'm telling you about a dairy free recipe with a tall glass of milk right next to it. But it's Hemp milk.