Friday, January 29, 2016


This morning I got up at 4:20.  By the time I was downstairs it was 4:25... following my routine like a T, I carried my new tea kettle over to the filtered water and tried to fill it.  But no water came out.

Something must be wrong with our frig.  I guess I'll fill it with tap water.  Oh well.

But no water came out.... just a hissing, air sound.

Now, keep in mind it's 4:25 (as in AM)  so I'm not quite thinking clearly.

My first thought was the the pipes froze.  Happened to my brother last winter.  Couldn't be that because we're having a 'no winter'.

Something is wrong with our house... better wake up Scott.

He was fast asleep.  I felt bad.  He jumped out of bed and looked around.  Nothing wrong in the house.

And then he noticed tons of police, water, whatever trucks up the street.  Like a ton of them.

And then we knew it had to be a water main problem.  (our street is on a major line)

"Not to worry," he said.  Sometimes they have to work on the water main and they shut off the water in the middle of the night so it doesn't disturb anyone.  It IS the MIDDLE of the night.  They'll turn in on first thing in the morning."


So back to sleep he went.  And I went back to what I do in the morning.  Except that I decided to skip working out since I was deep down worried that I wouldn't get to shower off my sweat.

At 5:45 he called the water company and actually talked to a real person  "no water for 2 to 3 hours"

Total panic.  2 to 3 hours... we'll all be at our schools.  Anna in middle school, Abigail at her elementary school, Scott the principal at his elementary school, and me with my reading groups at my elementary school.  How in the world is this going to work?

He went downstairs and got out a gallon of bottled water and a bunch of those baby sizes.  Enough to brush our teeth.  Enough to fill the girls water bottles for lunches and school.  Not enough for a shower.

Enough to wash my hair in a bowl.  Yuck!  This was not how I wanted to start my day.

Now the girls wake up squeaky clean because they take a bath at night.  There was only one problem with them.  Anna hates purell (that I quickly put in their bathrooms).  She's a very frequent hand washer.  (remember this picture?)  So she was in a panic.  I told her she could use the Purell and quickly get to school to wash her hands.

Abigail could have cared less about washing her hands.  And she thought Poland Springs bottled water for teeth brushing was pretty fun.

I put on my favorite light blue sweater, the pearls, and my clicking shoes.  If I was going to feel yucky I was going to look good.  Weirdest thing though... my hair (from washing it in a bowl and not using conditioner because there wouldn't be enough water to rinse it off) came out so nice.  Really soft and pretty.  So strange.

But I felt gross.

About the time Abigail was putting on her shoes for school and I was telling her to zip her coat. (and there were piles of dishes on the counter because I couldn't rinse them)  The water came back on.

"Sit here on this carpet and don't take off anything.  Read the library book in your backpack. Mama is taking a super fast shower.  I"ll be down by the time the microwave says 8:22" .  It was 8:19 at the time.

My hair was already done, makeup on.  I slipped in and out of the glorious shower in two minutes.

Water.  Changes everything.

(this was bath time.. the night before no water... funny that I took a picture) Since it was the last of the water... I call this photo  "traffic jam").


1 comment:

  1. Not a fun way to start the morning. I am with you a shower every morning is a must!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...