Monday, November 19, 2012

Mommy Moments and Mistakes

IMG_6432
(Abigail on her first "half birthday")

Today I looked at the calendar and realized that it is November 19 and a wave of awfulness washed over me.  I realized that we passed November 18 which would be Abigail's "Five and a Half" birthday.

I stopped for a moment and didn't move a muscle just like when I lost my Grandmother's ring way back. If I don't move maybe it didn't happen.  So I sat here, at my desk with the girls directly behind me on the playroom floor happily playing ponies. 

She doesn't even know.  It's only a half birthday.  No... that didn't work.  I feel awful.

It's a good thing I make plenty of mistakes for all of the little things that I know don't and won't amount to much in the grand scheme of raising these two girls.  And I make plenty of them every day. 

But I suppose these moments...

abigail and me

wash away all of the others.

abigail and daddy

abigail in the tub

fishing

anna in the tub
(when her hair is just so and she's looking down, and I squint my eyes just a bit, I can see my baby still)

anna reading
(random reading in bed picture)

anna's ceiling
(under the clouds)

But of course tomorrow while they are at school I'll be baking a birthday cake and digging in the birthday bin for five and a half candles.  I'll tell Anna not to tell her it's not the right day.  (because Anna will figure it out right away)

You know that those "half birthdays" count to them.  She'll love saying to everyone who asks, "I'm five and a half!!!"

1 comment:

  1. oh no...the dreaded "mommy oops"!
    been there done that...many times. but ya know there is a lesson in there too. we all try our very best but none of us are perfect!:)
    have a happy day tara and enjoy your happy half birthday abigail!:)

    ReplyDelete