Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Favorite Part of the Day

It's the chaos.  When my chickies are all (okay, so I only have two) home and it's noisy.  There is talking (sometimes crying), viola music playing (sometimes my coaxing them into the living room to play), laughter, silliness, playing, eating and just being together.  It's the spills, the abrupt changes in meals because I forgot to make one little part (okay, so sometimes I forget that I have to cook a whole separate meal for Abigail's allergies), bath time, jammies coziness, stories and prayer time that I adore.  It's in this chaos every afternoon and evening that I am so grateful to have the noise (and bedtime when they're asleep looking like angels) because it's what I'll miss one day.  So I soak it in; the spills, the mess, the noise, the happiness, and the love.  It's our family and I adore each one of them.  Yes, some call them the witching hours.  I call them "my favorite part of the day". 

I don't have pictures of my favorite part of the day.  I'm too in the thick of it; but one day I will.  So for now, this is what was simmering on my stove during my favorite part of today. 

Tara's Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

soup

2 onions
2 T butter
1 T olive oil
15 oz can pumpkin
1 1/2 lbs butternut squash peeled and cubed (they sell it often already peeled and cubed, easy)
3 c chicken broth
salt
pepper
1 c half and half
Optional: shredded Gruyere cheese, croutons

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, saute onions in butter and oil for 10 minutes.  Add pumpkin, squash, broth, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until squash in very tender.  Process mixture until smooth with a hand blender or in a food processor.  Add half and half and reheat slowly over low heat; add remaining salt to taste.  Top servings with Gruyere cheese and croutons, if desired.  Make 4 servings. 

4 comments:

  1. i don't really need a picture of that tara..cause i can see it all!:)
    that soup sounds amazing!
    so, i'll be sending dave here for a looksie this weekend.
    are you guys home for four days too?
    hope they are all beautiful.
    have a happy day tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cindy...surprise, right?! But I too can see it all. It happens here as well. And like you, there is no place I would rather be.

    The soup sounds and looks wonderful! We have soup every Tuesday during fall and winter. I am always looking for new ones and this is a keeper! Thanks, friend! Night : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara just me...just checking my profile pic. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this time of day too now that my chicks are older....when they were babes....we had a lot of melt downs. Times 2 (twins).I'm going to try that delicious soup. Yum! Beautiful pic! xoxo~ Beth

    ReplyDelete