Monday, September 12, 2022

Raising Gratefulness

I remember it clearly. It was Anna's first thank you cards. 

It was the first week after her First Holy Communion. She had a little pile of sweet gifts given to her at her party. We took all of those little statues, prayer boxes, rosary books, and all of the cards. We lined them up on the living room mantle - one gift after another. 

And then every day after school Anna sat at my desk (my Bible desk) in the living room and I handed her a thank you card. I had them made to match the invitations. They had her name engraved in them and she loved them, me too. And my second grade Anna wrote one thank you card a day. She could use any pen she wanted and when she was one with one each day we took that little gift that she just wrote a thank you card for off the mantle and went to her room to find a very special spot for it. 

I remember it like it was this week. (I wish it was this week) 

Who knew back then that my girl at nineteen would be writing thank you cards to me for visiting her in college for dinner? 

I am grateful that I taught Anna a thankfulness and a was to show gratitude because now I am the one blessed. 

Just this week I got a card in the mail that was the sweetest ever. 

Anna has always taken time to take out a card and thank others. The cards she's written me are usually tucked on my pillow at night over the years. And I've saved each one in a box. They are treasures to me. Now those cards come in the mail and they are just as much treasures that delight my soul. 

I do love how this growing up has glimpses of little Anna still there. And of course glimpses of what I nurtured in her. And for that I am grateful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment