Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Books

I have such a 'different' and 'interesting' reading life. I'm not really a fiction - one book after another kind of reader. I usually avoid "so what are you reading?" questions because I feel like I'd have to explain myself. So much of who I am as a person can be seen in my decorating and homemaking. The same is true of the books I read. I thought it would be fun to post the books that are currently read - another snapshot of time.

I believe in reading what you love - I love children's stories and CS Lewis loved reeading the classic The Wind in the Willows. "Read what sparks your spirit to life in the very place that you are, and let that book lead to another," Sarah Clarkson.

As a 4th grade teacher I am *always* reading books that might become a read aloud in the classroom. I'm always reading to find books to recommend to apprehensive readers. I always reading thinking that one might be great in a guided reading group. These I took out of the library in late February because we were just going to be starting our mystery unit. Our libraries have been closed since then and sadly we didn't get to that unit as school closed on March 13. So I've had these here for a while.

Juniper Berry: really scary!
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler: a classic
The London Eye Mystery: Anna read and loved it
Time of the Fireflies: My plan is to read this in the next few days. It looks like a great book but really my eye is usually looking for a book that a boy might like - I have more trouble finding books for boys, so I'm always searching.

1

Now usually I start my summer with the entire series of Little House books

4

but this summer I think I'll save those for later because I've been really wanting to read the entire Anne of Green Gables Series (all 8) I just finished the first one and adore it. I underlined all of my favorite quotes. I love the rich use of language. They are such loving and peaceful books. Please trust me - read this book.

2

Just starting this one (book 2)

3

Now here is a book we are doing as a family devotional time after dinner each night. Although meant for parents to read on their own, Scott and I are reading it aloud to our girls and taking time to discuss the 10 'gifts of heart' that are suggested in this book. It's a great conversation starter for us especially since our girls are older. And I love how we can look back at our experiences and have deep and long conversations about how we want to come up higher in these areas as a family. I am grateful for this time since March and a looooong summer ahead of us to do some of this 'work' of learning together. I am ever mindful that Anna only has one year left before she'll be leaving for college. So much I want to teach her still.

5

While the above book is a family devotion time, this next one is a special book I'm doing with my girls (just us girls) this summer. I've been reading through the chapters and we are working through the workbook. I highly recommend this book. Just like our family devotional book, this one opens up doors for wonderful conversation and I pray that God will use our time in a powerful way.

6

I still read aloud to Abigail, a lovely fiction book each night. In early June I finished reading her Remarkable - fun!

I tend to go for the classics. I love books that have withstood the test of time and were published many years ago. (in 1932) We love to compare life now to life then. And I also tend to pick books that I wouldn't be reading aloud in my classroom. We loved The Saturdays and just finished it.

7

And we just stared this one - written by Noel Streatfield in 1936. I love so far that old language, and the story. Although usually I'm quite careful about books that include orphans, this one is beautiful so far.

8

Of course Scott has  few books he's reading and then the girls are each reading their own books. I haven't mentioned the books that help me in my God - Bible time in the morning {that will have to be another post for another day} but I do love wonderful theology books that stir my heart in my prayer time.

I want my girls to grow up in a home crammed with books and in a family who loves the rhythm of reading - so that is why I read aloud, read in family time, read in a girls only group, and creating pockets of delicious time for personal reading in our summer days.

If you're not sure where to start and reading has not been something that has been a part of your daily life. If maybe you've been busy or your mind too occupied for reading - this is a great book to help get you started again. I use it as a reference because it is filled with book lists - enough to last me a lifetime. I love this book so much! ❤

9

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you are gently making reading, be a way of life, for your children...

    ReplyDelete