Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Reading

Some days in the summer I think it's important to read what you want to read. Well, some would argue that you should always read what you want to but when you are a child that is reaching for something in your future there are many days that reading what you must read takes precedence.

Anna is a diligent student. She strives and she has lofty goals. I must admit that she is leaps and bounds smarter than her daddy or I at her age. We saw it long ago and encouraged her to be all that she could. She recently scored a 5, the highest national score on her AP US History exam, earning her college credits. She is all signed up for 5 AP classes for her senior year and has stars in her eyes as she thinks about learning in a university.

The day Anna finished a summer class for Psychology through Boston College this summer I went in her bedroom and asked what are you doing to relax now that BC is done? "Oh, I'm teaching myself another language; I'd like to learn Japanese." Yes, that is Anna.

But summer is summer. And although there are a stack of books she must read this summer for her AP literature classes before school even starts this September, I smiled when she took an old, familiar, favorite, middle childhood series, off her bookshelf. They are 'comfort food' for her a brain that needs some rest.

So she is rereading this series and loving it. It's a step back in time for her and that makes this mama's heart happy.

1

Abigail has been plowing through books this summer. This is the one she is in this week:

2

And my dreamy, romantic, idealistic, old fashioned heart is so loving this 'first time through' this series. The Anne of Green Gables books. Each one more delightful than the one before. This is the third and I'm loving it oh so much.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment