Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Holiday House Tour ~ Living Room

35

I hope you are all enjoying this last week before Christmas.  We are still in full swing here... school until Friday, girls, Scott the principal, and me the reading part time teacher.  We are tired and looking forward to this weekend.

Last night I quickly walked through the living room so that I could snap these.  This is our living room.  Abigail calls it the viola room.

When we bought this {old} house in 2001 I can remember standing with Scott in the living room.  The man that sold us the house  was talking with Scott and I was not listening  thinking 'the tree will go here' 'the walls will need to be painted, they won't do for Christmas at all...'

In fact everything I buy for this house has Christmas in mind.  I stand in an antique store holding a platter and think, 'but how will it look at Christmas'

To me the whole year waits for Christmas.  I know my house does.

Especially my living room...

(for you photographers out there... I took these all at pitch dark at night)

1

Our tree of course because I have to, is real.

19

It lovingly holds all of my Radko ornaments. (the story of these ornaments is back here)

20

19

33

20

This tree is the most important one. She stands proud waiting for when we're all asleep on Christmas Eve. I'm sure she holds her breath waiting for Santa to come down that chimney.

21

And she gloriously displays all of the girls presents magically on Christmas morning.

3

Really I could call this room our Christmas room. We don't 'live' in this room... there is no TV or any electronics. Just these ... that make music for me everyday.

2

This is the viola's view of Christmas.

3

From where the girls practice they can see both THE tree and our family room through the glass door.

4

4

The view from the family room... and can you see that glass coffee table through there?

21

It holds a tray ready for tea.

5

with memories of Abigail's first Christmas

6

married first Christmas

7

and China baby's first Christmas.

8

... oh a new book for my collection... Christmas in New York... the most romantic place in the world at Christmastime.

9

on a lower shelf... it's all in the little touches for me

39

10

Yes, this fireplace was lit just like this when we bought the house. She had me at crackle...

11

... and yes, I could envision little hand prints in gold from babies I'd yet to meet.

36

13

grosgrain ribbon woven through the greens

36

35

14

36

The stockings we bought (at Lord and Taylor) when I was just 23, a newlywed. I bought five... just in case...

35

15

With my Santa oil painting moved to the family room this year, I added a Santa wreath.

12

29

A little vintage Christmas postcard garland over an antique mirror.

16

And an antique stained glass lamp (that I have yet to figure out how to photograph to really show what she looks like) on my desk.

17

18

32

I love the Vermont Country Store catalog... someday I'm going there!

22

31

23

A music box Rudolph my Aunt Kathy bought me when I was 23.

24

And behind my sofa some books that I love.

28

Even my bunny iron book ends wait all year for Christmas.

27

26

This is my to - do list December 26 th - January 2 nd

25

can not wait... what should I start with?

30

And my cross collection that my Mom started for me... from all around the world.

34

Yes, I'm pretty sure this room exists for one purpose... and that is December 25th.

37

and it's almost here!

38

40

41





3 comments:

  1. Okay, I LOVE THIS - especially the old photo of you and Scott and your Christmas teacups!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your living room looks beautiful. I can not wait to see pictures of it on Christmas morning as you all gather around your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm breathless.
    Literally.
    I lingered over each photo...
    You are Christmas, my friend.
    I love it.
    Enjoy,
    Christmas hugs...for you all.

    ReplyDelete