Thursday, September 10, 2015

How I Did a Huge Road Trip

23

Well, I'll tell you to start that I'm no expert, that's for sure.  I learned more about 'how to do a road trip' on this road trip.

Number One:  Bring less for them to do.  Way less.

Number Two: Surprises (even cheap, almost free ones) are better than anything.  Have a ton.  Keep them varied (and holiday~ish) Make sure some of the surprises are movies.  Inexpensive, silly ones are the best.  They don't have to be big, expensive 'newest Disney release' movies.  (I'll show you what I found later)

Number Three:  Food ~ Have lots of it and think variety there too.  Salty, crunchy, sweet.  But also plan to pick up some along the way. When you stop think fresh, fresh, fresh.  Since most of what you have in the car is prepackaged stuff be on the lookout when you stop for a nearby grocery store.  Instead of gas station (more prepackaged food) run in to a grocery store to grab a few bananas or apples or yogurt.  You'll feel soooo much better

Number Four:  Blankets ~ Have those for sure (and cozy car socks)  I got that idea from Cindy and loved that tip.  The girls loved kicking off their shoes and wearing cozy socks in the car.

Number Five: "car dresses" (we called them)  Those soft dresses without a waist for the looooong hour days are best.  They are cozy in the car, easy to nap in, and the BEST for bathroom stops.

This was the first surprise. We waited until after lunch when the boredom was really starting to settle in. I had prepared "Christmas in the Car"



Playdoh in the car is fun







More Christmas in the car

15

1

Baked ahead of time.. so much fun to pull out for the girls!

2

And a teeny tiny Christmas present

3

I had Christmas music playing too of course!

4

14

5

6

These I hung on the back of our seats.. easy for the girls to get their own activities. (love how Anna packed her knitting)

19

And this was Halloween in the car

12

13

29

This was Abigail's side (and below a basket of movies we choose for the trip... they didn't know that they would be getting a few holiday movie surprises)

18

10

And this just filled with art supplies

17

16

They each had a mini bag for their books.

7

8

And I packed them a bag for their car socks, pillow and a blanket for getting cozy

9

21

24

25

This was the last surprise I pulled out on our last travel day home... and huge hit!

11

Anna read these mystery cards aloud and we all tried to figure out the mystery. The best things we packed were the ones that involved the whole family. I'd pack these again for sure!

28

I love this one. My weary traveler. We were almost home... Just one more long day of driving. She had just been woken up after a night in a hotel half way home. Not in the mood to eat!

27

The best part of traveling is getting home.  And right now, in this season, I'm glad to be home!




2 comments:

  1. So many wonderful ideas Tara! You are such a wonderful mom who thinks of everything. Love the holiday ideas...I may try this.
    Love the Santa mug ornament... I have a love for Santa mugs.
    And yes coming home is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful post and ideas. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete