Thursday, July 18, 2019

Reading

Every day for their whole lives in the summer we have read books right after lunch.

Always.

I can remember when Anna was 4 and infant Abigail was taking a nap, I'd spread out a blanket in our bedroom and Anna would 'read' Fancy Nancy books.

Fancy Nancy is still in her bookcase -- too memory filled for her to pack away -- but she's not reading Fancy Nancy anymore.

This summer she picked {for leisure, fun reading} Pride and Prejudice

reading 2

reading 3

And she really likes it!

This summer {and all summers} I quickly reread my favorite books in the world. I read the whole series cover to cover before I start another book. I'm almost to the end {again for the millionth time} Such an important part of history would have been lost if these books were not written. I adore Laura Ingalls Wilder.

reading 5

Abigail is reading with us too {of course} Years ago she used to ask, "what's that say"? ... when she got to a word she didn't know.

Now she devours books.

reading 1

reading 4

Reading is one thing I can actually say and know that I did right as a mama. I instilled reading in them from the moment they were mine. It's important to me and I'm so trilled that they are grown up readers who love books for relaxation and fun; for learning and enrichment, and for life!

I love this post on reading and growing into stronger texts

I love this post on the importance of bedtime stories {even when you read all day long to kids in your classroom}

I love this post on what they were reading two summers ago.

I love this post because this photo -- snapped quickly before school says so much.

I love this post because this series is long ago gone but still filled with love.

I love this post because she used to read on the 'couch' in the kitchen.

I love this post because I remember having books (by theme) in baskets all around the house.

I love this post because this was the beginning of the 'chapter book library' in our playroom which is now 5 shelves longer!

I love this post because she was a little reader way back then!

I love this post because Anna was 10.

I love this post on reading.

I love this post because of how Anna recommended a book to me and I still love it!

I love this post because of a book I had just finished reading to the girls.

I love this post because of the stack on Anna's dresser.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this post because a quiet house when everyone is reading is my favorite time of the day! The girls read everyday for atleast an hour and each Summer I pick one book that I read out loud to them just so we can be together enjoying a book as if they were still little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did MANY MAY things right, sweet mother!!!!!!!
    Love reading. Love books.
    And Little Town on the Prairie is my favorite one in the whole series!

    ReplyDelete