Wednesday, March 11, 2020

On Playing House - and doing your own thing

kitchen 5

I learned how to decorate from my Mother. Our 'growing up' home was always so lovely. And Cozy. And pretty. And I adored my rainbow bedroom.

When I grew up and was a young bride at 23 I also leaned on the tips I read in the little Susan Branch books I had. She used things around her house, and believed in having things out that you love.

kitchen 3

Lately (in the fullness of life that is mine -- notice I didn't say busy), I see such amazing decorated homes. Those on instagram that I follow. Most of the time they are inspirational. I really do get good ideas from the two or three that I love to look at. But lately, their homes have been too "put together" for me.

kitchen 1

I like to have the things I love out. I like vintage (not Target dollar spot). I like pretty. I like mugs from England or treasures I've found at antique stores.

kitchen 2

So, it's okay to still look at those amazing living rooms with kitchens that clearly didn't make 4 lunches, prep for 4 breakfasts, make healthy snacks for 4 to get through the day, and on top of that clean up the yummiest dinner.

kitchen 4

And of course I don't take pictures of my kitchen when there's flour all over, chicken, greasy pans to wash... who wants to see that? No one!

But it does remind me to be me. To have out the things that I truly love. And that is the best part of "playing house"

kitchen 6

Here's another post that explains a little more about my decorating feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment