Friday, March 27, 2020

Rise Up - An Emotional Post

All around the world people are suffering.

All around the world people are adjusting to a 'new normal'.

While I thought 'distance learning' and teaching from home would give me loooong days.

I thought there would be time for tons of baking

and cleaning out closets

and watching movies with my girls

and on and on and on...

I have found in these past 5 'new normal' days that I am working harder than I ever have.

I am not on the front line.

I am not a health care worker or a physician or a nurse.

Those are the true heroes right now.

But I am doing my part.

I am a teacher.

And I am responsible for the fourth grade education of 22 nine and ten year old students.

I don't have time for tick tock videos (what are those anyway?)

I don't have time for posting 'we're bored' Instagram photos.

I don't have time to sit around and watch the news.

I don't have time for any of that.

I am their teacher and these 'distance learning' day are school days.

So I am working at learning new ways to teach.

I am learning technology that I never wanted to or thought I'd could ever need.

I am learning how to love and care through Google Classroom and Google Meets.

I am learning how to teach multiplying fractions without manipulatives and children right in front of me.

Without partners.

Without math stations.

Without anchor charts.

Without me.

I am not a hero.

I am just doing my part.

And I sure am glad that it is Friday.

Scott and I have had some really late nights and some really early mornings figuring out how to do what we are doing. And somehow {maybe it's my lack of sleep} it bothers me that America thinks it's one big lounge in your PJs excuse - a time to check out - to veg and watch the news all day or movies all day. Maybe it's because my parents modeled for me the value of hard work. My grandparents modeled it. And now we do it.

And this video, a parent sent me. To all of those health care workers - you are heros.

And to the world (not that anyone sees this) please stay home {and Trump, stop talking about the economy and opening back up by Easter) ... this is for you...

Just Click This Link 

4 comments:

  1. My Dearest Friend,
    I love, adore, and respect you so very much.
    So much so that I feel the need to comment about what is on my heart after reading your heartfelt post.
    I agree completely with you that people are suffering. Tremendously.
    And I agree totally that the medical professionals, first responders, and scientists are the true heroes.
    I know how much you love your job, and are committed to your students.
    And I love you for that.

    However, I do think that this time in our lives is a very different time. It is a time like no other, and one in which we are called to a new normal.
    If trying to give your students the same quality of education they receive in a physical classroom is overwhelming, I believe wholeheartedly that you can and should feel free to adapt. I for one have taught my children multiplication without the use of manipulatives, anchor charts, and math stations. Easing up on yourself will give you more time to spend with your daughters. Perhaps that is what this time is for...a time for all of us to slow down and reflect and come together as families.

    Watching the news now is imperative, I believe. These days are days future generations will read about in History class. Future scientists and physicians, economists, and politicians will study and learn from the things that happen these days. I watch the news with my children. And we talk about the things that are happening all over the world, the impact that this horrible virus is having in every way possible for so many people. Today, we gathered together to watch a special Papal Blessing live from Rome. This led to a discussion about history and the architecture of the time. Learning can be found in places other than lesson plans. These days are proof of that.

    I understand that you feel people are sitting at home, posting Instagram stories about being bored, and making Tik Tok videos as a way to pass the time. I actually sent you one that my kids made. Honestly, I was happy to see them working together to create it, as well as how much fun they had. Maybe the reason people are doing things like this is because they cannot work. You and your husband are able to work. And that is great! But my husband, the vast majority of his employees, and my children, including Madison and her employees, cannot work. Believe me, if they could, they would be back to work in a heartbeat. But they cannot. And they know they should not. Everyone is affected by this horrible virus differently. We are all called to carry our own individual cross. Mine is watching my dear husband suffer because he cannot do the job he loves, the job he has done for over thirty years. I watch him struggle with the fact that his employees cannot work either. Restaurants are closing and may never reopen. Small businesses that were once thriving may never recover. We all understand that it is completely necessary to create a new normal. We simply do not have a choice. What we do have a choice in is how we respond and react to this change. So go ahead and bake some of your delicious cookies. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Dear Tara,

    I read your blog, but I usually don't comment because I don't have a blog of my own...but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for speaking out and sharing your work with us.

    Although I have another job now, I was a teacher for many years (college and high school), and my mom still is one (high school) so I know just how much work it is. You guys may not be health care workers, but you're on a different "front line" for sure. Thank you!! You are doing great.

    Wishing you much love and all the best from The Netherlands (everything is shut down here too, and we are social distancing and distance-learning as well).

    ReplyDelete