Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Abigail's Birthday (updated)

On Thursday, May 18, Abigail Mei turned 16 years old! 

Just like that. 

Here is how her birthday went down! 

Her Actual Birthday

I took this as I dropped her off at school that morning, bright and early on her birthday! She was glowing and totally sixteen! 















She texted me this picture and asked if she could have this special drink her friend, Kaitlyn brought her. Kaitlyn knows of Abigail's allergies and was careful to make sure it said, "Severy Allergy" on it. Love that her friends made her day at school special. 




On her 'actual birthday' Scott came home with sixteen long stemmed roses for her and a bunch of balloons. 

Oh actually her day started as birthdays always do in our home, we woke her up by singing happy birthday to her. It's our little tradition. Of course I don't have pictures of that. (I used to take them, but these days I don't think she'd want pictures of her waking up! Ha! 




After balloons, hugs, and kisses it was an early dinner. She had an orchestra rehearsal that night so she had to leave by 6:00! 





Oh my stars, I can't believe she's sixteen! 



Her favorite dinner of chicken pot pie (she picks every single year) Had to make the filling the night before because teaching and having dinner so early was a bit crazy! 


While we were eating her uncle (my brother) and her cousin Ian dropped in to wish her a happy day! 


And a quick little cake as she rushed out the door! (bigger and more exciting cake was coming on the weekend) 







She opened presents (loved having her sister home). 


She truly has the B E S T  'opening presents' expressions! 


You can tell I was super excited about this big gift from her daddy and I. 


I love this moment when she realized what it was (or at least part of what it was) 




I should have taken a picture up close but you can kind of see... two tickets to Wicked on Broadway and a whole weekend in NYC -- just the two of us! We are staying two nights at the Warwick. Best location in the city - walking to almost everything. I can't wait! 


Total birthday joy! 



And then off she went to her orchestra rehearsal! 

Surprise Party

I knew for a long time that I wanted to have her celebrate with her friends and I knew I wanted a surprise party! So I emailed her friends (didn't have all of their numbers) and one of them set up a group chat for me. Oh howdy! I thought it would be a piece of cake to organinze a simple restaurant surprise party. Well, the restaurant, that was easy! But finding a night that would work with all of them? That was almost impossible! 

One of her friends ended up setting up a google calendar. We all put in all of our events and one tiny night, one little sliver of time worked out -- phew! I was so grateful that we found a time! 

Here's a little piece of the texts that went on for daaaaaays! 



Funny how they suggested Mother's Day of course! 



It was actually so much fun to text back and forth with these girls! In high school we passed notes to our friends! 

So on the big surprise party night Abigail had a big concert. She was tired and didn't want to go out to eat. It was POURING rain and I'm sure she just wanted to chill out at home. I left the concert a little early to head to the restaurant and get the girls all set. 

After the concert I kept updating Scott and finally let him know they were there and it was okay to bring Abigail. 




We had dinner in the opposite end of the restaurant and I loved peeking over at them all happy and giggling about life. Love these girls! 


They had such a fun time! I sent them one last text that night! 




Grandparents Party 

We had another concert on Sunday after church and after dinner that night had her family birthday party! I loved making her traditional ice cream cake! 












And just like that her big 16 was all wrapped up -- and in a flurry we darted off to the next even and next concert and next study session and all that is the last month of school! 

Other posts you might like: 






Ten is here

Nine is here

Eight is here

Seven is here

Six is here

Five is here

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Abigail!
    So cool that Anna was home for her big day :) I'm sure that made it extra special.

    PS. I've been reading this blog since Abigail was 5...now I feel old ;). Love from the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Sweet 16 to Abigail! So many fun celebrations for such a lovely young lady!

    ReplyDelete