Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Abigail's Confirmation ~ May 6, 2023

written Sunday afternoon, May 7, 2023

I've got that: 

day after

sad it's over

yet

bubbling up inside with gratitude for so many things. 

I'm surrounded by dishes and silver to put away, napkins to fold and save for the next occasion, and a whole new week of teacher coming at me but I don't care. 

I have to be here and record these feelings while they are still so vivid. 

I am honestly surprised at how I'm feeling about this Confirmation. Yes, of course I know it's importance in our catholic faith and I know how special it is. But for some reason it touched my heart in such a profound way. Maybe it's because it's my "last" one. Maybe it's because I got to see Abigail in her very first 'grown up' event. And certainly is because the Holy Spirit moved me in a profound way. I pray she did in my little girl's heart as well. I know He did. 

There is truly so much I could say but let's just jump in. 

Here is the set up just before we left for the cathedral. We were having fourteen  over for a meal after: our little family

my parents and brother

Scott's Mom

Abigail's Confirmation sponsor

their little family

her grandmothers

It was wonderful. 

I took this vase down from the cabinet where I'd been saving it since Maddy (Scott was her Confirmation Sponsor) was a baby. We are her Godparents. She have us this vase with the words "Godparents, guide my steps, light my path. Love, Maddie 10/8/2008. I love it so much that I brought it to a florist and they made this amazing arrangement. 



Holy Spirit prayer cards at each place setting perfect for Confirmation I found at a holy shrine recently. I knew as soon as I saw them that I wanted to use them for this dinner. 




Abigail and Maddie, second graders on the day of their First Communion... thought of this last minute but love it so much! 



I had another table set up in the kitchen (forgot to take a picture of that) and then one more outside on the porch. 

Abigail eating a snack right before we left... 


And just a few family photos because I always want to capture those before things get too busy. 




We got to the Cathedral nice and early and I got a few pictures of Abigail. Love them so much! 




Our Cathedral is breathtaking and such an amazing work of art. 



Scott was Maddie's Confirmation Sponsor and here she is being sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit with Scott's hand on her shoulder. I love this photo so much. 


And this, her Godfather since she was born now standing with her as she becomes an adult in her faith. This moment is precious to me. Anointed with sacred chrisom. Received at her baptism but confirmation of that gift is essential as it was for the apostles. It was only when the gift of the Holy Spirit came upon them with a mighty wind and flames of fire that they threw open the locked doors, and came out to preach the good new of Christ. 




After they took photos with the arch bishop and I took one from the side. 


And then it was time to relax and enjoy all of our special guests. These four teenagers/young adults are my favorite four on the planet. I am so grateful for those girls in our lives! 


Maddie and Abigial... 



We feasted on such yummy food -- a combination of homemade and catered.


These girls giggled and shared life with each other for hours. Truly my girls best friends. 






Quick before anyone left I got a few pictures (and forgot a few people, gosh!) Here is Abigail with my mom... Love this one so much! 



And loved on by her grandpa and uncle (my brother) 


Happiest one of the day... her "uncle Todd" makes her feel so loved, protected, and special. 


Maddie with her grandmas... 


And of course Scott with his Confirmation 'daughter'. 


HERE is the link to watch the livestream. Scroll to the left. And then "view all" Although the video could never capture it, but still here it is. 

A few things I want to remember 

💛"To be confirmed in your faith means that you are Christ witnesses in the world in which we live. 
That is what we celebrate today. A gift to be cultivated, to be used and practiced."

💛"He shares his Devine life with us especially through the sacraments."

💛"Once we've been appointed with this oil, first at Baptism then Confirmation, we enter into fellowship with Christ and we receive a share in His life."  

💛 "The sacrament of Confirmation is very important because it strengthens you to fulfil the obligations that membership (in the body of Christ) entails." 

💛 "Jesus said on the night of his crucifixion's to his disciples that he gives us a joy that is not of this world, that this world can never take away." 

(All quotations by Most Reverend Leonard P. Blair) 

Other posts you might like: 




No comments:

Post a Comment