Thursday, January 14, 2021

When Her Phone Rang

Preface: I can't believe that I'm typing this. Wasn't Anna only in first grade when I started this blog? 

This happened on Monday, December 14, 2020. 

We are still over the moon about it. 

Truly one of the happiest days of my life. 

I will never forget driving to my school the next morning and feeling to elated that my cheeks hurt from smiling. 

Be truly glad; There is wonderful joy ahead 1Peter 1:6

___________________________________________________________________________________

Anna had applied early decision to a college was her top choice, and we knew we'd hear soon so we were all nervous leading up to this night. 

On Monday evening after dinner Anna and Abigail decided to practice for a concert (post back here). 

Joy to the World in front of the Christmas tree - a duet. 

I decided to grab my phone and record because whenever my girls play viola together it makes me so happy and I just have capture it. 

So there I was, standing in the living room. Anna's music stand was behind me. (they were using Abigial's stand to practice).

In the middle of my recording / in the middle of the song I heard Anna's phone ring. So I immediately stopped recording. 

Here is that recording:

As soon as I stopped recording and said, "Anna! Your phone is ringing." 

She grabbed it right away but missed the call. 

Somehow, without thinking about it too much, returned the call, not knowing who it might be. 

As soon as I figured it out I started recording for the second time that night. 

And this is what I heard. 


Beautiful, honest, lovely, darling, simple, profound moment recorded. I am so grateful for that video. 

and 

I have no words. None that can compare that the emotions in the room. I can't think of anything else to say. It is just felt. 

And I don't know any college that personally calls applicants accepted to tell them - what an amazing personal touch. 

And the rest of the night unfolded like this. 







I am beyond proud of Anna for her accomplishments. This college is a very prestigious, highly selective college - they only accept 23% of applicants. There are many notable alumni including: 
  • Clarence Thomas – Supreme Court Justice
  • Dr. Fauci - National Institute for Infectious Diseases 
  • Joseph Murray - surgeon who performed the first successful kidney transplant
  • Edward P. Jones – Novelist who received a Pulitzer Prize 
  • Ann Dowd – Actor
  • Mark Kennedy Shriver - Maryland House of Delegates 
  • Neil Hopkins – Actor
  • Jon Favreau – Obama's former speechwriter
  • Chris Matthews – Political commentator
  • Bill Simmons – ESPN sports writer, sports analyst, author, and podcaster.
  • And on and on the list goes... 

As a family we have fallen in love with this extraordinarily beautiful college. And we can't wait to see what God will do through those four years. 

So much more to come in future posts... 

And this video Anna quickly put together so we could tell family and friends:



Epilogue: 
I was praying that when Anna found out that she got in (oh we were praying for that too) that we would all be there. 

I could never have imagined that it would be with her viola in her hands. 

That she would be surrounded by all of us. 

That she would be in the middle of playing Christmas carols. (Joy to the World - that song will always have special meaning to me now) 

That she would be in our living room lit with the sparkling Christmas tree. 

I know that not all of that is important. But it sure made it that much more special and I am grateful to God for knowing her mama's heart and how much it would mean to me. 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Anna! I know you must be so pleased.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tara...this was just the sweetest post! I cried too...and I don't even know you in real life...but how can one not be over the moon excited for Anna and your sweet family????!!!! Congrats to Anna. I wish her nothing but the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara, I've been reading your blog and following your beautiful family for a long time and this video brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations to Anna! I wish her all the best at Holy Cross! ♥

    ReplyDelete