Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Taking Care of Your Heart

One Saturday morning...

home 5

This morning I got dressed in my workout clothes and walked and walked listening to a favorite podcast. I saw the sun rise over the hill and loved how it hit the white picket fence near the golf course.

I made a cup of tea and took a banana muffin out of the freezer I had made last weekend. I sat on the porch swing - still too early for anyone to be up and I just sat there breathing in the quiet.

I snuck into my house quietly and sat at my 'Bible table' where I opened the Word of God and my notebook.

Later that afternoon I slipped on my favorite necklace - the one that Scott bought me when I was in the hospital when Abigail was born. Because Anna was three and Abigail just a day old it brings me sweet memories and happiness in my heart.

In the midst of so much flurry of life, my soul needs quiet, perspective, time to remember who I am.

What a lovely gift God gave to me this morning.

Now I will change sheets, start laundry, make breakfast, love on my girls, and walk through this life with Scott, but I will be in a better place then if I hadn't spent this time. Taking care of your heart is always a good move when your life is demanding.

It comes in seasons of course. And for this fourth grade classroom teacher, the school year and school days are one of those times when my life is demanding. For my family: two students, one fourth-grade teacher, and one middle school principal, it is our 'busy season' for us all at the same time. And I'm so glad that God has taught me how to to take care of my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment