Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Ms. Bixby's Last Day

One of the things I knew I wanted as a mama was to read. And to read and to read and to read. I loved board books. I loved library books. I love picture books. I love chapter books.

I knew I A L W A Y S wanted to read to my girls from the moment they were mine. {I actually had a board book in my hand when Anna was placed in my arms}

I love to fill our lives with words, ideas, joy, and great moments. And books do that. They stir up emotions and calm a hectic day. No matter what happens in the day I always know I will have a cloud of peace settle over the room I am reading in. And I love it.

I just finished this read-aloud to Abigail and we just loved it so much. Although I wouldn't suggest it to children under 12 {characterization and themes just right for a preteen but not before} it was won-der-ful- and we cried when it was over.

So I asked Scott to snap a picture so I could remember the day we finished this lovely book.

book 2

book 1

Reading, ahhhhh


3 comments:

  1. Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Little House in the Big Woods here. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, thank you for sharing about this book - it really hit home for me because my 10th grade teacher from 25 years ago passed away from cancer, also all too soon, slightly over a year ago. When she was very ill, she organised a series of reunions for all the classes she taught, and that gathering reconnected a group of girls (now middle age) some of whom hadn't seen each other for 2+ decades especially when we graduated before the age of internet and social media. Through that gathering, I discovered that the programmes that "the school" had set up to introduce us to volunteering and social service were actually her personal efforts for our class and not a structured school-wide initiative. And I am grateful because she put me in a place where I knew that there were ways that I can serve the community, and have continued to save a piece of myself to serve the community I live in, even sometimes in small ways, over the years. Her name is Ms. Sie Siok Hui (Siok-Hui Sie in American format), and she is a real Ms. Bixby.
    And she also got her ideal "last day" because she was trying to write a book and thought she would never live to complete it, but with the help of some dedicated ex-students and their friends, she managed to hold a mock-up of her book 2 weeks before she passed. It is now in print and available on the market.
    I came across this post at a time when I'm building a mini-library in my home in anticipation of receiving my foster parent licence. It took a couple days of thinking -- might not be the best book for a foster child because it would remind them that the good people in your life sometimes go away too soon, but I am glad you have forever daughters to share a story like that with and enjoy the beauty in the sadness. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete