Autumn... the year's last, loveliest smile.
~ William Cullen Bryant
I adore Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. I read them like novels. Each season I take out my cookbooks that match that season. So I pulled out all of my fall ones, read them, marked the recipes I could alter for Abigail's allergies and ones I wanted to make this season. But the best part are the tips that are at the bottom of each page. Here are a few of my favorite:
* set up mini pumpkins on top of terra cotta flower pots... line them up the front porch steps for a cherry welcome!
* Put away summer toss pillow for the season... set out warm & cozy cushions of flannel or fleece.
*Enjoy a weekend retreat at home or away! Spend the day in your jammies... savor a leisurely brunch, work puzzles, re-read a favorite book. What could be cozier?
* Top decorative urns with plump pumpkins for a quick & easy doorstep welcome. Orange pumpkins are oh-so cheerful.
* stir caramel topping into a mug of hot cider for an instant warmer-upper.
* Autumn weather can be so fickle, chilly one moment, then balmy the next... so keep some apple cider on hand. Serve it chilled or spiced and piping-hot, it's always refreshing.
* For fireside fun, pull out jigsaw puzzles, nostalgic games like checkers, dominoes or card games like Go Fish or Old Maid.
*Fill a big apothecary jar with penny candy sticks in orange, lemon yellow, golden butterscotch, chocolate brown and other autumn colors. So pretty on a sideboard... invite each guest to choose a favorite!