Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Late September Weekending


Three days home - yippee! I had stars in my eyes about blue skies and sunshine and when the weather called for rain all weekend I realized a few things - 

1. I like cozy and especially since our home is all dressed up/cozied up for fall, rain would be the perfect weather to enjoy being home

2. We still could do some of our fall outside plans even if the weather wasn't perfect. 

So here's how our late September weekend went: 

Friday ~ 

no pictures but as tradition in our home - homemade pizza sauce and homemade what we call "pizza breads" and a movie and an early bedtime (we are so tired from our school week)

Saturday ~ 

Abigail headed to viola tour group class and then orchestra

I headed to a few thrift stores I love to pop in briefly in the morning and a few other errands. We were all home all afternoon and decided to head out to eat that evening. 

Sunday ~

We adore our church but it is a bit time consuming to go to our parish in the city. So if we want a fun little day trip, we've learned that going to a parish in that area gives us a better chance (time wise) than going to our parish and THEN going to another town. 

We explored the darling town of Washington, CT. It is the inspiration for the show, Gilmore Girls. Here's the weird thing: I actually don't love the show. I don't not like it, but I just never clicked with it. But I knew a little about the show. So if was based on a CT town, than that CT town must be adorable. And it was. Here's a little peek into our half day trip! 

I could have taken a million pictures of our drive there (about an hour from where we live). All twisty, wooded streets. I loved loved loved and we both kept saying, "let's move here!" I wish I took more pictures of our drive. 





We started with Mass at Our Lady of Perpetual Hope. Definitely a little country church - we loved it. 


And then we ate at Marty's. The food was all homemade, gourmet and amazing! We also bought some scones, cookies, bars for the car ride home later. 



We meandered through a bookstore. 


And we did our annual apple picking. It was a bit misty, rainy so we actually just explored the apple orchard a bit and ended up buying our apples. It was fine with me because, well, just take a look at this darling place. Loved it so much! 









When we got home Scott came into my school with me to hang a new light that I love so much. It makes it cozy inside my classroom. 






Then in the evening after dinner I made a big batch of Molasses cookies with frosting. 

Monday ~

Enjoyed a slower morning than a school one! While Abigail was doing school work all day long, Scott and I got a bunch done around the house. We are taking the time to work through the lighting of our house. I like to get to this every fall so that when the holidays come around, everything is bright and sparkles. For some lighting we just need to change the bulbs. For the glass fixtures, we take them down and wash them in hot soapy water getting them sparkling clean. For any lamp shades we take them off and soak them in a bucket of warm water, bush them, and rinse them. We let them dry overnight. I like to work in bits and pieces. We are busy teachers with a lot of regular responsibilities so this method has always worked for us. Next weekend we will finish upstairs and then work our way to the main floor and basement before Thanksgiving. I love how it's getting all sparkly and clean in here before the holidays! 

Other posts you might like: 

Lyman Orchards

An Afternoon at an Apple Orchard

Apple Picking

Apple Picking, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment