Friday, March 8, 2024

Why I Blog

I'm not quite sure where to start since it's been so long. But I am determined to be a blogger. Sometimes the 'quickness' of Instagram seems so much easier but the more I'm there the more I realize it's not me. What I love about this blog is the blank, open page. The room in my head and my heart to write. There is not room in Instagram. It's comparison, it's controlled, it's feeding something I don't want to feed: 

  •  instant gratification
  • controlled content
  • closed mindedness
  • comparison
  • get, get, get, buy, buy, buy culture
And so I'm off of that (not sure how long it will be but for now) and back to this sweet blog, the place where I recorded memories, thoughts, dreams, hardships, worries, and the ordinary since 2010. 

This morning I woke up and for some strange reason I thought of a blog that I used to read even before I started blogging myself. And I was curious but something told me something wasn't good. I knew that since 2017 she battled cancer and then it was back. When I clicked on I was shocked and heart broken. It felt like a friend that I'd known since 2008 was now gone. She lost her precious life to cancer just this week. I hadn't checked on her blog in so so long but was prompted to today. Maybe the Holy Spirit prompted me so that I could pray for her six children as they faced the impossible this week. 

Sarah's blog reminds me of the early days of blogging. She had an interesting style and it drew many many followers for many years. She shared her heart, her mothering, her ordinary days that she loved best. I always admired her advice, the way she 'kept' her home, and her simple days. 

She reminded me again of blogging and that I just don't want to let social media win. I want my heart to be here, a place for my daughters to return to see what I was thinking, what stage I was in, how I filled my days. 

I was in email contact with Sarah (not recently) but when my girls were younger. She gave me wonderful, peaceful advice about returning to the classroom as a teacher. I remember that after 13 years home I felt guilty about changing our lives so much even though I knew it was what God was calling me to do. Sarah was sympathetic, a friend, and told me she wanted to teach one day too. And she did, even after six children. I bet she was a wonderful teacher. 

You can read her blog here

I think most of all her blog today (as I've poured through some of her older posts) reminded me that just like the simple home she liked to keep, the simple schedule, the ordinary days, even this blog can be simple. It doesn't have to have 'likes, reels, music, and flashy photos'. And it reminded me that this is where I want to be. Less of of instant, more of quiet, more of space. It doesn't matter to me if no one ever reads this page or any that follow, I would rather write here. 

So dear blog, I will be back, daily, I hope. Next time with photos. Gosh, I'm sure there are a ton on my phone (although I'd like to use my big camera more) 

Thank you Sarah for your friendship, advice, and wisdom over the years. You space was always a good place to be. Now off I go to purge some stuff in this house (because THAT is surely something I always felt inspired to do every time I was on her page) 

No comments:

Post a Comment