Friday, July 1, 2022

Visiting the National Shrine of Devine Mercy


Oh my stars -- this is such a holy place and we were so blessed to have found this place. 

On this quick, one night, beginning of summer, get-away to the Berkshires (post back here) (and here), 
I found some information on this beautiful place. 

It is called the National Shrine of Devine Mercy (website here) and stepping on to these grounds brought me instantly back to 21 year old Tara who in college made a summer pilgrimage to Denver, CO for World Youth Day. 

On our pilgrimage we drove from Danbury, CT all the way out to CO and our bus stopped at every single shrine along the way. 

Some times the priests at the shrine would open up a large area for sleeping and eating. We traveled in huge groups and our sleeping arrangements were often the floor of Catholic school gyms or those in a parish that would spencer a small group of us. It was a a wild and holy journey, one that shaped me into who I am today. One of these days I will dig out my photos and put together a blog post on that amazing experience -- one day -- but for now our day at the National Shrine of Devine Mercy... 

Although it wasn't a sunny day, we had the Shrine all to ourselves so it actually felt more holy to us. 

The backdrop was spectacular! (that is Scott way down there on the lawn) 


They have Mass on the weekends in this outdoor area. That would be spectacular -- another time for sure! 


I know in our time there that we didn't discover everything -- it is enormous but we did find some areas that were pretty amazing. I love this photo below with that huge old tree sheltering this one area. 


Inside, candle for intentions and a statue of the Holy Family. 


We took our time and looked at everything within walking distance. 


 This is the statue of Jesus's grandparents:



And then we entered the church -- the actual shrine (of Devine Mercy) 

We were the only ones there and we couldn't believe that we were able to be in such a holy place. My heart we so full of World Youth Day (1993) memories of visiting holy ground like this. We just sat in the pews and prayed for our little family and all of our intentions. It was really powerful (and hard to put into words) 

That painting (Devine Mercy) I had been reading about lately and it was beautiful right above the tabernacle. (a bit of the history is here



I couldn't get enough of the beauty of this place. 


Honestly, just when I thought it couldn't get any better I turned the corner (there were several smaller shines to certain saints) and I saw this. 

My eyes filled with tears as I couldn't believe my eyes... a shrine to Saint John Paul II. 
He was Pope John Paul II when I traveled on my pilgrimage in 1993, a college student. I was at the Mass he presided over with over 800,000 youth from around the world. 

There are really no words to describe my feelings except to say that I have a deep love and admiration for this saint. He will always be special to me. 



In never thought it could be any more but there was! 



Saint John Paul II, rosary and his Papal cap. Oh my! 



By the time we finished visiting and praying the bookstore closed so we drove back the next day (it was actually on our way) and shopped. I brought home some really unique books and a few other things. 

I am so grateful that we found this place and that we were able to share it together. 

We will be back again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment