Saturday, June 24, 2023

Summer Rhythms, Routines, and Rituals

"Plan and practice regular rhythms in your home to care for what and whom you most value." Sally Clarkson

I so admire Sally Clarkson and totally believe what she said in that above quote. I didn't know it way back then when I was developing rhythms in our home. I just knew we needed time and a place (especially in the summertime) to brought us closer. Some might think with a 20 and 16 year old those old days of time at home together doing things is long past. I actually think it can be even more important to have those set times that say to my girls

💛We are a family

💛This is what we do

💛We make time for each other regularly

When these regular things are already set and in place, nothing takes their place.  Here are just a few of ours. 

Reading on the Couch

Started this way way way back when Abigail was napping in her crib as a baby and toddler Anna and I had some time together in the afternoon. Way back then I made a "nest" (yes, we called it a nest). I put a blanket on the floor in our bedroom and some pillows from the bed. She cozied on that blanket. I piled up books for her to 'read' (I clearly remember Fancy Nancy). She couldn't read the words yet but had memorized the stories and would out loud 'read' the book to herself. I remember a pile of camera/photography books I read back then as I was trying to teach myself how to use my camera. 

It was glorious day after day. And it instantly became a tradition. Every day. Every summer. Every year since then. 

So these pictures were from our first day of summer (Monday) and it was just like no time went by from last summer! 



This was my view from the couch. We eat lunch on the porch every day (dinner too) and so when we are done all we do is take a step inside. 



Here are a few other posts on reading that are fun to look back on: 

I love this post on reading and growing into stronger texts

I love this post on the importance of bedtime stories {even when you read all day long to kids in your classroom}

I love this post on what they were reading two summers ago.

I love this post because this photo -- snapped quickly before school says so much.

I love this post because this series is long ago gone but still filled with love.

I love this post because she used to read on the 'couch' in the kitchen.

I love this post because I remember having books (by theme) in baskets all around the house.

I love this post because this was the beginning of the 'chapter book library' in our playroom which is now 5 shelves longer!

I love this post because she was a little reader way back then!

I love this post because Anna was 10.

I love this post on reading.

I love this post because of how Anna recommended a book to me and I still love it!

I love this post because of a book I had just finished reading to the girls.

I love this post because of the stack on Anna's dresser.

Read Aloud Time 

Anna is twenty. Abigail is sixteen. They both know that living here means read alouds. Forever. 

Reading aloud is calming, soothing. We go on "adventures" together. 

Once again it is a time that is set aside in our day - nothing else matters. This summer we started Prince Caspian by CS Lewis. 


A Designated No Screen Time 

There are no screens until dinner some nights and other nights no screens from dinner til bedtime. It all depends on the day. My girls are used to this. I truly believe (and it works for us, not judging any other family) that kids need to unwind their brain in the summer - to have a feeling of being bored - to then get creative - go for a walk, draw, create, find something that brings them joy. And I know for my girls a screen won't bring them joy. I snapped this picture to remember the first day we put our screens aside. 



So these traditions are our every day rhythms that help it F E E L  like summer. They are relaxing and they help us to unwind from the whirlwind of our school year days. We have plenty of fun too! We love a grand adventure in the summer and we love day trips too. But taking the time to chill (and building it in) can even be better than any adventure we have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment