Monday, September 6, 2021

You're in the Right Place

It is difficult to be sure to write this post. 

Yes, because I miss Anna. 

But also because I want to do justice to the place where she is, the welcome they had for her, and I'm not sure through picture or words I can do that. 

The last thing screamed in a whisper to Anna as tears streamed down our faces and our hug so fierce I didn't think we could separate was, "you're in the right place - you're in the right place, God is here - He is holding you when I can't." 

We are adjusting in our home to a 'different'. To Anna not coming down for dinner, to her silly jokes on texts and through phone calls instead of at the dinner table.

And it is so good - because this was what was supposed to happen.

But it is also hard. So hard. 

I didn't grieve her missing until the first week was over and it was the first Saturday morning. I thought I was mostly 'fine' until I sat at my desk in the living room for my Bible time. And tears, for the first time wouldn't stop. 

Her viola wasn't hanging on the hook. 

She wasn't upstairs sleeping. 

But 'proud of her' doesn't even come close to our bursting hearts. 

So yes, this post. 

It has so much emotion I've actually thought of not writing it. 

But here I go. 


Not knowing really what to expect that morning (other than these amazing videos of move-in day from the past), we packed the car and loaded in. Hands shaking. 



Love how this one shows the Mass 


I had watched those (and other videos) 1,000 times. Anna had not. She didn't want to know. 



Her viola was the very last thing to slide in the car.




And we drove. Goodness, I don't really remember the drive until we could see bits of the campus from the highway. Goosebumps - she's really going THERE! Wow... 

This was the welcome, recorded from my shaky hands and my phone. 


It was so exciting to be welcomed with such enthusiasm!

And so we pulled up - and NEVER touched a bag! Everything was taken from our car. Anna and I walked right up to her room while Scott and Abigail parked and met us. While Anna and I check out the very empty room all of her things were being carried up. 



Her roommate arrived shortly after and they started in on making it their home away from home. And boy was that a quick process. A few things on the desk, a comfy bed with mattress topper, a few lamps and it was cozy and ready for a new year. 

As it is a typical dorm room, it was kind of crowed inside with Anna, her roommate, her Mom, Scott and I ... and all of the stuff we were unboxing so Abigail waited outside on a bench to give Anna some space. Scott and I took turns with her and I was able to get a few more photos of people arriving. 



Anna wanted a simple look so we chose a white bedspread with accents of sea green. 


... a huge white board. Right now her white board has the date in Chinese, some doodles that make her happy, and the date she'll be coming home for fall break! There is now art work in her room hanging in that blank spot - we had ordered it - it just didn't come in time. 


Anna and her roommate who is sweet, lovely, and just right for Anna. 


I just love her smile! 


I really didn't want to overwhelm the girls with my camera so I didn't 'overtake' pictures of the room. I also knew that Anna wanted to wait a bit before unpacking some special things. It was just a lot that first session. 







I loved the bright, clean, white walls and all of that sea green to match. 








After she was basically settled we had lunch outside and relaxed a bit on campus. 



... and found the coffee/tea shop! 


My favorite picture of the day! 


After some paperwork, covid testing, etc we headed back to her room to say goodbye to room 409 since we knew we'd be leaving from Mass - we knew way ahead of time that after Mass and the blessing of the freshman, they go off to orientation and parents head home. It was so amazingly organized! 

A few last pictures in her room!








Time to head to Mass.










It was the most beautiful Mass I'd been to in my life. We sat there soaking in the words, the full orchestra, choir, the message. 



First there was a Blessing by the Faculty and Administration: 

Loving and gracious God, 

you Spirit of wisdom fills the earth

and shows us your ways. 

You dent us prophets 

to teach your law and to bear witness to your love.

You have raised up women and men who have inspired us 

and shown us the wisdom that comes from you alone.

May your face shine upon these new students 

who join the community of Holy Cross.

Nurture in them a passion for knowledge,

that they may take delight in new discoveries.

Help them to persevere in their studies

and the desire to learn all things well,

that they may be witnesses

of your presence to all people. 

We ask in your Holy Name.

They had the parents and freshman stand. We laid hands on Anna and prayed this prayer: 

Loving and gracious God,

we ask you to guide these our sons and daughters

in all their ways.

Be their sustenance on the journey, shade in the heat,

shelter in the storm, rest in weariness,

protection in trouble, and refuge in danger. 

May they know through all the days to come 

that they abide always in your deep love and care.

For all our days together, we give you thanks,

and when we are apart, bind us ever closer in spirit. 

We ask these blessings in your Holy Name. 

Amen. 



Really crying at this point. 

There were closing remarks and a final hymn and then it was time to say goodbye. 


Abigail picked up my big camera and Scott and I held her right there in that holy space where we prayed. 



I said firmly through my tears in a whisper, "you are in the right place; you are in the right place. God is here with you." 





We walked out of where we had Mass and there was one more goodbye until "students to the left, families to the right." 




We stood there and watched until she was out of sight. 

And then sadly, headed to our car to go home. 


It was a 'sad' with a happiness too. A pride, some unbelief... everything mixed together. 


I have so many more thoughts to blog. And I will but that is it for now. 

Here is the move-in day video from this year. Better than anything I could capture. 


1 comment:

  1. Tara I've been following your blog since I was in high school - and I can't believe how far Anna has come! I knew this college move in post would be bittersweet (it felt forever away when I was in college myself as a reader) - I can't even begin to imagine how you, Scott, and Abigail feel with one less in your home. Anna sounds like a lovely girl and I'm sure she will grow in leaps and bounds and LOVE college!

    I can't even begin to tell you how great my private school was and how much I enjoyed college - something about your religion bonding you and making friends who feel like family because you connect on a deeper level. She's going to have a great year and have SO MUCH to tell you when she comes home from fall break. Hang in there you guys are doing great :)

    ReplyDelete