Monday, September 13, 2021

Written by a Fourteen Year Old ~ A Poem on her Disease

 What they don't see


Crying baby

Eating nothing

Shoving odd things in my throat


Doctor visit

No real answers

Wondering in a waiting room


Answers bringing 

Stone faced, silence

And a disease you can't pronounce


Food restrictions 

Medications

Constant pain no one can see


Growing up

But not in height

Leads to questions I can't take


"Go back to elementary school"

"Why don't you just eat"

"You're too young to be in pain"


Sometimes it makes me question


I choose to bloom from this seed of pain

Not because anything else has me rooted here.

I choose to grow stronger from this stone on my path.

I will not let what they don't see get in my way


I am brave enough to get IVs since I was an infant

To get an injection every day for the next two years


I am strong enough 

Not to accept new medical conditions

But to work side by side with them 


Because we are not one

But two separate beings


I am compassionate


I am loving


I am creative


I am curious


I am me 


(Abigail, age 14) 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Abigail. This is genuinely good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poem was awesome! And shame on the people who say "Go back to elementary school" to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is lovely. Brave and wise, your Abigail.

    ReplyDelete