Sunday, May 2, 2021

Nurtured By Love : Her Suzuki Senior Recital - the first event of her 'end of senior year'

“Teaching music is not my main purpose. I want to make good citizens. If children hear fine music from the day of their birth and learn to play it, they develop sensitivity, discipline and endurance. They get a beautiful heart.”
― Shinichi Suzuki

Shinichi Suzuki was a musician, educator, philosopher, and founder of the Suzuki method for music education. 

He lived in Japan and believed that musical ability can be developed in all children. The technique is taught in pieces rather than dry, technical exercises. 

He believed in nurturing knowledge and ability through love. 

The Suzuki method is unique because there are three teachers: the Suzuki instructor, the parent, and the child. I am beyond grateful for finding the Suzuki method because I have been to every single one of Anna's lessons from her first to her last. For thirteen years. I am the note taker, the listener, the encourager. I have spent more hours than I could possibly count with my daughters and their violas. Time that could have been lost in the day to day of their childhood was captured and I was there, every moment. 

Some day I will tell the story of how I happened upon the Hartt School of Music and was captured by raising my daughters in the Suzuki method. 

It is more than learning 'how to play the viola' - it is about time time time time with them. It's a philosophy of raising children with a beautiful heart. (this is his book

And this evening - it was the culmination of all of this. I cried as she played, for it filled my heart. I never felt more close to Anna and more grateful to be her mama. 

(this photo was taken at the end of her first year of instruction - kindergarten was almost over - she was almost six years old - oh how I wish I had a photo of the first day)


(and this is her at the end of her senior year)

The concert: 

It was magnificent. 

Yes, it was on zoom - not in a theatre as we always thought it would be - but it was magical in its own way. 

And we are so grateful for the memory we now have in our hearts from this night. 

Once we knew it would for sure be a zoom senior recital I wanted to make it special. Last Sunday I rearranged all of the flowers we had into milk glass vases. I lit the candles and arranged some lights on the mantle. 

Elegant. Simple. Beautiful. 



Anna was sixth on the program and she was not playing a recording, but live. So after she played (and all of the nerves were relaxed and she could breathe again) I decided we'd celebrate and enjoy the rest of the concert with a family room tea party. 

I decorated the table with my vintage table cloths and plates.

I chose two different kinds of loose tea and prepared the pot. 


And I baked homemade raspberry vanilla scones from a recipe I found in Victoria magazine. 


And I made some homemade raspberry jelly (that Anna loves) The recipe was amazing. They were so different than anything I'd ever made in a scone. Lots of different layers - soft in the middle, scone texture on the outside. Pure heaven - and beautiful too. 


The recipe called for zero sugar (always good for me since I really have to watch sugar) but I served them also with organic honey. Delicious. 


Anna was excited but nervous about this concert - especially because all of her past viola teachers would be on the zoom call tuning in to this live performance. 

I have been listening to Anna play the viola for thirteen years. Thirteen! And we've never heard her play like this. She was magnificent. Words can't explain and the small recording on my phone just can't capture. But I will save it forever to listen to when I miss her music in my home. Just typing these words bring tears to my eyes. 


As soon as her piece was played she got texts from her beloved teacher, Lee Hadden and her current teacher, Melinda Daeuthch - both who teach the Suzuki method at the Hartt School of Music. 



























This was the first event of her 'end of senior year'. And although I thought I'd feel sadness, I didn't. I felt deep pride and happiness. Such pride. Thirteen years of hard work and determination to get to this advanced level and skill at the viola. And what beautiful music she makes.



Thank you Anna for allowing me in your journey of music. You have given our family a gift - not just in your viola but with your heart. It is true, you have a beautiful heart. 

“Beautiful tone, beautiful heart.”
― Shinichi Suzuki



2 comments:

  1. What a special night! Everything looks beautiful Tara. And the first picture of Anna at 6 years old oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special night! Everything looks beautiful Tara! The first picture of Anna at 6 years old oh my... so cute!

    ReplyDelete