Thursday, August 20, 2026

On Our Bucket Maui List and Almost Didn't Happen!


Oh boy... this was on our must see list from the time we started researching Maui. 
But then this state park closed down for a while. 
You have to reserve tickets for this park and they only let a certain number of people in per day. 
So every single day we clicked on that website to try and get us tickets. 
Finally when we realized it was closed down and would probably be the entire time were in Maui, we just gave up. No luck. Oh well. 

But then,
One evening while we were already IN Maui, Scott clicked and that state park opened up. He resereved that passes and that was it... 
we were IN!

Iao Valley State Monument

Here is what we learned from this state park

~ this valley is rich in culture and spiritual values as it is the site of the battle of Kepaniwai where the forces of Kamehameha I conquered the Maui army in 1790. 
~ It is a paved walk that allowed up to see the viewpoint of Kuka'emoku (Iao Needle)
~ The io Needle is an erosional feature which dramatically rises 1200 feet from the valley floor. 
~ The plants brought by the Hawaiians who settled in 'Iao Valley amazing and throughtout the park's ethnobotinical garden 

I already want to go back! 

We arrived early because we read that many time by the afternoon clouds roll in and you the visibility of the needle is more not clear. 

It was spectacular! 

































 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so enjoying this peek into your Hawaii vacation! It's SO far away from where I live (Western Europe) that I doubt I'll ever go there, but this makes me feel I can briefly visit through your blog. That picture of you and Scott looking at the waterfall is my favorite. What a trip!

    ReplyDelete