Thursday, March 10, 2022

"Oh I Love Orchestra So Much"

A few weeks ago Anna called me on her way back from orchestra one night. It was late but we always talk on her way back to her dorm. 

She was all lit up inside and I could feel her peace and happiness. She said to me, "mama, I love orchestra so much." She could barely put into words really why, but I knew. 

Orchestra has been and always will be the perfect place for Anna. It is her thing. Even just her first time in the fall when she opened her viola case and slid out her viola for the first time at Holy Cross, she felt so connected. 

She went on that night when she called me to tell me that she loved her stand partner and how nice she was - and all of the people in the orchestra are just so fun, inviting, and good to her. 

Even more than that I know that music is her way of connecting with the college that she loves. It is her place, and I am grateful. 

Last week we had the honor of attending a Holy Cross orchestra concert. It was a Wednesday. After a long day of teaching we headed up there after dinner. But pulling onto that campus feels a bit like home to me; funny really because I've never lived there. But I know so deeply that Anna is supposed to be there that to this mama's heart, it feels a bit like home to even me. 

The concert was magnificent and I sat on the edge of my seat. Happy that my Mom and Dad were able to attend. It was a Broadway and Silver Screens concert. Anna's orchestra played: 

Highlights from Harry Potter
Downton Abbey
Theme for Schindler's List
West Side Story 







Here is a video from that night that was posted. I hope to go to many many more concerts over the years. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment