Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Theology of Home

"Home, by its nature, is meant to be a foreshadowing of heaven. It is to be both satisfying in the earthly life while also offering a glimpse of things to come when we see the fulfillment of Christ's promise of heaven." ~ Gress, Mering 

My home is now decades in the making. Scott and I, over our twenty eight years, have crafted the place that it is now. I know that it won't always stay this way. We will forever be figuring out new seasons that will need new intentions and shifts as we reach the heart of our family and create a home that is a place to belong. We will always be planning, envisioning, building, and creating what our daughters need. 

My favorite places to be inspired are these. And I know that I need to be in them often, not once in a while. For those that I love draw from what I have filled into my own cup, my own soul. 

1. The Bible - yes, reading the Bible might seem daunting. Here are a few things that direct my time in the Word: 

  • Read one Psalm a day - circle, write down any truth it teaches you about God. Underline every promise God gives
  • Hebrews - write down what pleases God, the attributes of Jesus, His will for us to hold fast
  • Proverbs - keep a list of what this book teaches you about folly vs. wisdom
  • Read one chapter of John or Matthew a day - write down any lesson you learned
  • Read through Philippians - notes all the ways Paul tells us to follow Jesus

2. Devotions - these are my favorites: 

3. These books: The Theology of Home (there are four in the series) 

4. Sally Clarkson: You can find her on instagram and she has a weekly podcast. I belong to her membership for so much content that has taught me oh so much. 

I've always loved the cover of this first book. The mantle has a lot on it but I'm sure all rich in meaning within their catholic faith. After thinking it over I decided to collect some pieces that have meaning to our family and create something like it. 


Here is how it turned out: 


All of the things I chose are very meaningful to us. For example: 

This is Anna church on her college campus. It is a sacred place for our family as it was Anna's first church away from home; the first one that belonged to just her. 

We've also been there so many times for beautiful occasions that have wonderful memories for our entire family. 


I found these at a beautiful bookstore. There are drawings/art work of Anna and Abigail's saints, chosen at their Confirmation. I actually found Saint Kateri in the store and then commissioned the artist to create one for Saint Cecilia. They are very special to me. 


When I started this project I contacted our parish, the oldest catholic church in Connecticut. She found me this drawing of our church that was the original church drawing before the fire. 


A photo of my daughters in front of our church a few years ago on Easter Sunday. 


I added an oil painting of roses to symbolize our devotion of the Blessed Mother Mary. 





I do so love the way it turned out. It is a visual reminder of all that important in our lives. When I walk in the room I feel grounded and blessed. For our home to have that feeling is priceless to me. 

"Our homes are becoming sanctuaries - a place where we feel safe, protected, cared for... Making our homes a kind of sanctuary means more than simply having nourishing comfort food on the table. There must be nourishment for the soul. Without this, the soul will be left hungry and searching for the One who truly satisfies every desire of our hearts." Cress, Mering 



1 comment: