Saturday, July 20, 2024

Dinnertime Devotionals ~ Nurturing Faith Through Feasting ~ Investing in the Heart of My Girls

Anna is twenty one.

Abigail is seventeen.

I am so excited about my girls and their future. We have so much to look forward to as a family, and I know that God will guide them along the way. 

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all you heart,

and do not rely on your own insight. 

In all you ways acknowledge him,

and he will make straight your paths. 

I am confident in their faith - they trust in the Lord. 

But... I take seriously my motherhood - still. 

This year I felt in my heart that there were some things that I wanted to make certain sure that I went over with them, taught them. Lessons from God's word, our catholic faith, and our own family values. 

So I spent the past school year scribbling into a notebook all that I still wanted to teach them. And I found that there was just so much! 

I knew we'd have our special teatime discipleships (here and here) but those were not as often. So I thought the best way to reach their hearts were those times we were together... dinnertime! I realized that there would be 72 dinners we would be having together this summer. 72 opportunities to nurture their hearts and teach their souls. 

Side note: Scott and I committed to eating dinner at home all summer long and not at all eating out with the one acceptation of our trip to Quebec, Canada and our upcoming short trip to Vermont. Why: 

1. Scott and amazing dinner cook - amazing! I do breakfast, lunches, snacks, treats, and cook dinner along side of him. So much better than anything we can order. 

2. For health - portions are much too large when we are in a restaurant and also when we cook dinner at home we have full control of the ingredients. 

3. It makes our vacations so much more fun - something special to look forward to. 

4. So much less expensive = more money for other things we love. 

I have read this book also which has been such an inspiration to me: The Lifegiving Table: Nurturing Faith Through Feasting, One Meal at a Time

Each night of this summer I have a discussion prepared, a Bible verse, a message, a truth. And while we eat dinner every night we discuss. We ARE nurturing faith through feasting, one meal at a time. It has been such a blessing to me, their mama, to know that even now, even at 21 and 17 I am reaching their hearts, teaching, inspiring, discipling. 

This one quote from this book has been my anchor this summer: 

And when they realize they are one of those top priorities and you are CHOOSING to POUR INTO THEM with time, prayer, teaching, and connection, they get a glimpse of God's love and care for them. 

Also this: 

Your desire for a deeper friendship with your daughter will be evident in your commitment to spend time with her when the focus isn't on homework or household chore or negotiating technology time. 

What you share now in these intentional times stays with your daughter as she matures, makes tough decisions, moves away, has other mentors, creates her own circle of friends, and becomes a life-giver for others. 

These are five intentional commitments I believe in: 

1. I will welcome my daughters to come to me anytime. I will say yes to their desire to talk even when inconvenient. I'll avoid frustration by laying aside expectations to control life and commit to showing them the love of Jesus. 

2. I will create a safe place where they can say anything, ask any question, and know I will keep their confidences, hold their trust, and understand their failures. I will be someone they count on. 

3. I will prepare ahead for each discipleship time. 

4. I will be a conductor of life-giving moments of beauty, fasting, and living companionship. With music and treats and a pretty atmosphere, I will create a place of fun, pleasure, rest, and celebration in our home. 

5.  I will daily pray for them so that when they leave home they will have the foundations of biblical truth and virtue holding them and supporting them. 





1 comment:

  1. That is probably my all-time favorite verse! It is the answer to all our troubles.
    Thank you for sharing your family's faith!

    ReplyDelete