Sunday, December 3, 2023

Advent ~ First Sunday

"Advent is not only a time of preparation but also of interior reflection where we can ask ourselves, 'how can we prepare a welcoming heart for the Lord.' " ~ Pope Francis



I'm Catholic. Raised Catholic, my faith and my deep love of being Catholic has grown and grown since I can remember.  

I love the liturgical seasons of the Church and advent is by far my favorite. 

There is something about stopping to reflect for four straight weeks in a row that pulls at my heart. 

The longer dark nights, the quiet, being introspective, it calls to me each year. 

I think that is one of biggest reasons that I decorate our whole home by Thanksgiving. It gives me a chance to 'do Advent well'. 

Tonight we lit the first of four advent candles. Lit in the darkness, hope for our souls. 



In our reading and reflection we began to talk about what we can give God for Christmas. 



This Christmas I would like to work on one thing each week for Advent. 

This week for me it will be to remind myself that Jesus in near and that I am safe. When anxiety swirls around because this particular week has things that will make me feel unsafe, anxious, and out of control.

Instead of letting my emotions rise up and come out in ways that are sinful and unholy, I will simply remind myself that I am safe. That Jesus is near. I will pray the Memorare Prayer

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, 

that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, 

implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.  

I will think through my blessings and even simple things like what I hear, see, smell, feel in a moment. I will breath and not Try Try Try so hard to muster my way through anxiety filled moments. Jesus said that His yoke is easy and His burden light. He asks us to give up our problems, to lay them down not struggle and struggle and try so much! We are not called to fight our way through things but to realize that God is walking along side us and that just by recognizing that we are moving toward holiness. 

I am so grateful for this Advent season. 



"Let us cultivate His expectations without letting ourselves be distracted by so many pointless things and without complaining all the time, but keeping our hearts alert, that is, eager for Him, awake and ready, impatient to meet Him." Pope Francis 

~ My instagram account is here in case you ever want to visit me there ~ Instagram for me is just one cozy little vignette at a time in our home ~ This blog for me is different ~ The words are longer, deeper and I've been writing here since 2010 ~ I like my pictures here better. They are bigger than little square or reels on Instagram ~ But Instagram can be fun, so just in case you want to pop over, I'm here

Other posts you might like: 

Advent December 2020

Starting Advent 2020

Advent Weekending 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment