Thursday, April 16, 2020

The Best of March

calendar

Well is sure was a weird March, that's for sure!

I almost skipped "the best of..." for March, because well, Caronavirus! But there are still a lot of 'best things' so here are a few...

Closing (just click on that word for a link to the post) 

pillow

I snapped that picture the moment I walked out of my classroom - who knew that we would be out until the end of the school year on that day. We really had no idea. I miss room 124. I miss the magic. I miss my students. I miss all of it. I wonder where that chair where I "Open the Magic" is right now (sometimes things get moved around a bit when they do a deep deep clean) And I sure wish I tucked that pillow (and my uke) in the closet. I didn't because I had no idea it would be forever. So why is this in "the best of...." ? Well because I know I'm doing the right thing. I know I'm where I'm supposed to be, teaching. And that makes me very, very happy.

Planning (just click on that word for a link to the post) 

IMG_4207

We spent some time as a family planning out how we thought it would be - I made charts and check off lists of course. We talked. We prayed. We had no idea what would happen. So much has happened since that mid march week. Why 'the best of'? Well, because we pulled together as a family and started this journey together.

How I Want Them to Remember This  (just click on that word for a link to the post) 

2

Looking back at my thoughts then - they still hold true. I want them to remember no hurry. Tonight after dinner my daughters talked for over an hour. They are truly best friends. Long after the dishwasher started humming. Long after the floor was swept. Long after Scott left to paint something... they were still fully engaged in a deep conversation. It's the best!

Tea Time (just click on that word for a link to the post) 


4

Honestly, it's was just fun to look back at some tea time photos.

Well On Our Way (just click on that word for a link to the post) 

2

The day we kind of got the hang of it - and viola lessons started too! The girls have done their viola lessons for 3 weeks in a row now and it feels like peace is back in our world. I am so used to the sound of practice. I am so used to those violas playing that if just felt like mourning that first week that there were no lessons {= no practice, of course} It is so lovely to be back.

Rise Up - An Emotional Post (just click on that word for a link to the post) 

This post didn't have a photo - it had a video (here's the link)

That 'Rise Up' post wasn't well received. I will add to that post and say that I meant no harm in what I said. I also know that comments did not mean to hurt - they were made by a caring friend who was only looking out for the best for me. But I do stand by what I said... here are a few clarifications...

  • I'm not trying to give my 22 fourth graders the same quality education they would have in a classroom. I am, however, doing everything I can {when it's time to teach} to give them every bit of me so that their fourth grade year is the best it can be - this year, under these circumstances. That first week of distance learning {that was 3 weeks ago} it was a tremendous amount of work - it was all new. I was willing to put the time and energy in to set it all up. We are in a different place now. 
  • A bit on teaching {from home} in general - My normal school day is 8:30-3:20. I will not be that teacher {and I don't think there are any} that thinks that any less than those hours are acceptable. In fact 'ending' my day at 3:20 in the past would be absurd. Normally, I corrected at night while my girls did homework. Normally I planned on the weekends while my girls did long term projects or long term studying. I'm used to many more hours than that 8:30-3:20. They are counting on me. My district is counting on me. This is what I 'signed up for' and this is what I'll do. 
  • I have had oodles of time with my daughters and that is the silver lining in all of this. We have been together in the same house since mid March - and I love it. I teach while they are doing their 'distance learning'. No more, no less. Every post I've written in March shows how we've come together as a family and spent so much time together. 
  • The news - well, I did say in that post that I don't have time to watch the news all day. That is still true. I don't have time all day - nor would I want to all day. But yes, I do watch the news. CNN for the facts. 
  • And I do think we have a choice in how we respond and react to these changes. How do I respond? I dig into my faith. I dig into my motherhood. And I dig into my calling - teaching. I am so glad that we can all respond and react in our own way - my way is to work hard, to do everything I can - it's what my husband and I do. 
  • I was simply saying that I'm not a hero. I'm not a healthcare worker. I'm a teacher. So what am I going to do during this time? I'm going to be the best teacher during this time that I can. 
Grateful  (just click on that word for a link to the post) 

soup

Still so grateful for the time we get together. (and the good food too)

The Gift of This Present Day  (just click on that word for a link to the post) 

17

I still love the words from my hero in that post.

And that's a wrap on March!




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete