Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Bible Time

I am surrounded by books that inspire me - devotionals are in little piles all over my 'morning quiet time' desk. They are all so helpful and I wouldn't want to do this life without them - they are written by great teachers of theology - great teachers of the Bible - some are very practical - some are deep and cause me to think - all are treasures.

But above all is my plain notebook, plain pen, and my own Bible. I've loved the silver lining of having a bit more time in my morning quiet times - time in prayer and time in the Word of God. Today I was reading Proverbs 14.

It's is beautifully rich with wisdom - this verse spoke to my heart this morning.

Proverbs 14:30 A calm and undisturbed mind and heart are the life and health of the body.

Just that half of a verse spoke to me so much today.

_________________________________________________________________________________

What IS a calm and undisturbed mind and heart?

In my prayer time I felt certain that a calm an undisturbed mind and heart is not jumping to conclusions - conclusions about what others are thinking - not jumping to conclusions about my own faults and failings - not jumping to conclusions on how it all should work out

It is staying in God's Grace as each moment unfolds  -

It is doing right in that moment what God would have me to do  -

It is not being quick to anger  -

It is keeping negative emotions far from me  -

And when I have a calm and undisturbed mind and heart I know that the Holy Spirit can work through me in each moment God has for me. In each moment of mothering. In each moment of being a wife. In each moment of doing all I need to in this home. In each moment of planning and teaching. In each moment. And when the Holy Spirit is working through me I can have what the Bible calls an ease to do all of those things because He has anointed me to be the things He has called me to.

And this verse has helped me so much today:

Proverbs 14:8  The wisdom (Godly wisdom, which is comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God) of the prudent is to understand His way. 

I have a dictionary (yes a paper, big, heavy dictionary) in a basket next to my Bible desk. Today I looked up prudent. It is defined as exercising sound judgement in practical matters. Managing carefully.

It is sound judgement in the gifts God has given me: time, energy, strength, health, thoughts, words.

Jesus doesn't want us to waste - He wants us to be good managers of everything God has given us.

I love a verse leads me to prayer. Today I've asked God to reveal when I'm being wasteful. And then I listen my that still small voice in my heart and make changes accordingly. Sometimes I go about my day thinking something is a total waste of time. And then I make prudent changes and improve the quality of my life.

Comparing myself to others is not 'managing carefully' It is not being a prudent steward of the day God has given me.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! Wonderful wisdom here. May I ask what Bible translation you use? I was looking for a new Bible during this time at home. Blessings to you and your family.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete