Monday, April 13, 2020

Easter ~ Just the Four of Us

He is Risen! Hallellujah!

family 2

It was a blessed and most beautiful Easter. I have so many thoughts about that day - I am hoping that my words do justice to what is in my heart.

19

One of the things that I think is most beautiful about Easter this year is that Christians all around the world celebrated in a different way than what they usually do. In Italy the squares were vacant and the Pope celebrated Easter alone in St. Peter's Basilica. Catholics around the world participated in Mass live-stream from their own homes. Some families had their Easter dinner with all the trimmings as they usually do - some families had a simple meal in their comfy clothes. I love that each chose what would be right for their family - for their heart this very unusual year.

For my family it was certainly a different Easter - it was just the four of us. We decided what would be best for our family was to dress up, take our pictures, have a feast on this feast day.

As soon as there was even a hint that there might be school closing - even a hint that Easter might not be with our family - way back then I planned out the Easter menu and bought as much as I could -- before the masks, before the scare, before everything closed.

Of course our house was already decorated.

8

6

9

7

10

11

13

14

8

15

8

16

20

17

21

18

1

2

3

4

5

On Saturday the girls and I prepared everything so that we could enjoy on Sunday.

They started by dying eggs since we would need hard boiled eggs for a recipe.

food prep 1

Sometimes it is in the simple, easy traditions that you've done year in and year out that bring the most peace to our hearts in this unique time. For us, doing the eggs was that activity.

food prep 2

food prep 3

food prep 4

Now a little side story -- Scott and I are not relaxers. It's just not us. No judgement on people who can watch movies and shows and totally chill during this time -- that's great! It's just not us. We like projects and using this time to get a few things done around the house -simple projects and bigger projects -- well, they just make us happy. We like working on our old house.

So, while the girls and I cooked allllll day Saturday, Scott was painting the family room. It's a B I G project and he's been working on it here and there since we've been out of school.

food prep 5

Going from a creamy cream to white, white, white! And bookcases, and ceiling - lot's going on in there!

food prep 6

I can't wait to show you more! Lot's have been done since this picture!

Now, with being home from my classroom I had sooooo much time to cook and bake for this Easter - I was excited about taking advantage of all of the time in my kitchen with my girls.

So on Saturday the girls and I cooked all day long! First we had dough for some simple pre-Mass Easter morning bread.

food prep 7

food prep 13

food prep 14

food prep 15

And then the girls got busy on the stuffed eggs.

food prep 8

food prep 18

food prep 16

food prep 21

food prep 17

food prep 18

Anna made the cake

food prep 9

And it turned out so wonderful - the perfect dessert for an Easter brunch!

food prep 20

And then together we made cheddar chive biscuits (twice: once the original recipe and once non-allergic for Abigail)

food prep 10

food prep 12

They were amazing - so savory and perfect for an Easter feast!

food prep 11

Yes, we worked so hard in the kitchen on Saturday so that we could eat as a brunch right after Mass on Sunday morning.

I got up really early on Sunday morning - it was lovely to have the sunlight streaming in. I set the table, not with china, but with pretty vintage dishes that sing "Easter brunch" to me.

table 1

table 3

table 2

table 4

table 5

table 6

table 7

Since Scott is redoing the family room we participated in Mass on our workout TV in the playroom.

Mass 1

Our empty, and sacred, and beautiful church.

Mass 2

It was truly such a peaceful, beautiful Mass. I have never been to a Mass on Easter that touched my heart as this one did. Father Tom sat down just as he would on those alter steps to talk to the children. It moved me to tears. In this picture I can see the love in his eyes for the gospel and for the love of family.

Mass 3

And then my sweet girls got to enjoy the goodies in their Easter baskets!

baskets 9

baskets 1

baskets 1

baskets 3

New quilts for their beds ...

baskets 4

baskets 5

baskets 6

baskets 7

baskets 8

baskets 10

baskets 11

baskets 12

baskets 13

girls 1

girls 4

girls 7

girls 5

These are the sparkly eyes on a little girl who is having chocolate for the first time on Easter E V E R because someone finally makes chocolate that is not allergic! Can you imagine being allergic to chocolate -- your whole life? These are the first M&Ms (sort of like M&Ms) ever in almost 13 years!

girls 6

This is her first ever (E V E R) chocolate Easter bunny!!! She cried!

girls 9

girls 11

girls 13

Her first E V E R chocolate foil Easter eggs! Yes, it was a pretty spectacular Easter morning!

girls 14

Later I saw this that she had written - SooooOoooo happy for my girl that she got Easter chocolate! Man, allergies are tough!

IMG_4115 (1)

IMG_4116

girls 10

girls 8

girls 12

And then we got all dressed up in our Easter clothes for a few family pictures and an amazing Easter feast!

family 1

family 13

family 3

family 4

family 5

family 6

family 7

family 8

family 9

family 10

family 12

family 11

family 14

family9

And then our big Easter feast...

dinner 2

We had a delicious ham

dinner 1

Broccoli, wild rice casserole

dinner 3

Cheddar Chive Biscuits

dinner 4

dinner 5

Stuffed eggs

Fruit salad and...

And lemon cake with lemon glaze for dessert

dinner 7

It was so very different. But a beautiful, holy day.

He Is Risen!!!


2 comments:

  1. I love Abigail's excitement over her first chocolate! She is adorable, they both are. Your decor is lovely, so springy. It's such a gift to our kids to make things as nice as we can during this time. Thank you for sharing your beautiful Easter with us!
    Della

    ReplyDelete