Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Let's Go Home

I love this book, Let's Go Home, The Wonderful Things About A House by Cynthia Rylant. (here a post that has a picture of that book) 

That book lives on a table in our family room. I've read it oh so many times and the illustrations are just wonderful - even looking through that book is like medicine for too many instagram house scrolls. You know that feeling, when you've scrolled for a little too long and all of a sudden you want a new mirror above your mantle, or many like that farmhouse, shiplap, or the cabinets look so much more appealing that the ones you have, on and on. 

I recently deleted instagram from my phone for the distraction that it is. Distraction from the important things I do and just for the space it frees in my mind. I still have it on my lap top but it's not constantly in front of me. 

When I'm away from other pictures of other homes I see mine in a different way. Simple things, like all of this milk glass. When I look at my things, my home, I develop my own tastes and enjoy my home more.  



I moved around some things in my dining room hutch and have a little less milk glass there. Little collections grouped together, and I like it so much more. And I do so love milk glass that I can pull for anything I need - matches everything - a classic. 







The bowl just above in the picture was my grandmothers candy dish. It was in her living room and I could open it, take a candy, and close it without anyone hearing - I was a pro at that (most of the time) Every once in a while my grandmother would say, "is someone sneaking my candy...." and then I'd know I was caught. 

"And when you come down from the attic, back into a house that is alive with smells from the kitchen and dogs barking and tubs running and doors opening and closing and opening again... you can breathe in the life of this wonderful house and be glad that for not it is yours. Happy living."  from Let's Go Home: The Wonderful Things About A House 

No comments:

Post a Comment