Monday, July 12, 2021

The Magic of Story

In the summer I find myself always wanting to reread a few titles that are classics to me. There is something about the story - but even more so, something about the writing, the use of language that draws me into a different place that I love. For me this week it was The Secret Garden. Have you read it again as a grownup? If you haven't, I know you'll love it. 


Even the most cynical reader would be hard pressed to remain umoved by The Secret Garden. There is an old-fashioned tenderness and joy to it; the sense that magic happens if you are observant and quiet and know it will. As Colin says, 'Of course there must be lots of magic in the world, but people don't know what it is like, or how to make it. Perhaps the beginning is just to say nice things are going to happen until you make them happen.' 

In reading this classic you will be carried away by this magic, it will transport you... 


No comments:

Post a Comment