Thursday, July 22, 2021

Summer Afternoons

There is nothing I love more than our summer afternoons. Just me and my girls. I didn't realize when I was a young mama that the rhythms and celebrations I put in place would be not only some of our most special memories, but our anchors. 

It is difficult to put into words how these simple things are "just us" but they are. Things like: 

1. How after lunch while we are still in the kitchen was have our "Girls Club"

It is a set-aside, special time. We've read through, talked through, discussed, several different books and topics. This year We are working though "Grace, Not Perfection".  It is such a wonderful time to nurture their faith as well as reaffirm my ideals. 







2. After our "girls club" is always "read on the couch". It started out years ago with Abigail in her crib for her afternoon nap, and toddler Anna with a pile of picture books "reading" to herself on a little fort made of blankets on my bedroom floor. I chose to not read to Anna at this time but for her to see herself as reader and to see mama reading her own book. After all of these years this is still such a treasured time. 




3. Sometimes afternoons you'll find us on a quick stop to Whole Foods for an ingredient and we often pop into the library for new inspiration. Or maybe our afternoons will be sorting or organizing. Even a girls movie might be in our plan. But we sure do love our summer afternoons. 





No comments:

Post a Comment