Sunday, February 26, 2023

Down Home Goodness



I know it is the end of February and actually right now there is snow falling lightly with a bigger storm on the way for Monday night. I know that but...  all week long my home had been 'bugging me'. I'd come home from teaching and there would be a little pile here, some dust there, an undecorated area there... and it felt like my home was screaming, pay some attention to me! So I did. 


On Friday night Scott had an event at his school. It was the perfect opportunity for Abigail and I to spend some time together. My sweet-as-pie girl and I love to talk, organize, decorate together. And so we sat in her room, emptied out her dresser of everything. (she recently got some new clothes and she'd recently been so busy that putting away her laundry in too packed drawers has become a bitter task) So everything came out. We decided what fit, what she liked... all that went back. All that she'd outgrown (glory, halleluiah, she needs to grow!) I put in a pile to donate. And once her room was organized it felt so much better. 

So when Saturday morning rolled around I wanted everything to feel that good again. That was my starting point - my just what I needed to get me motivated for my whole house. On Saturday morning I got up bright and early and began cleaning. I started upstairs, dusted, waxed, shined up the glass. (We love these non toxic cleaners we've recently switched to) I cleaned the bathrooms, Scott did the 'big job' on our bird cage, I cleared and cleaned. I took one room at a time and really dove deep (for the time I had). I made everything clean, organized, pretty, and comfy cozy

And now when I walk through the house I feel so happy. I keep walking around admiring all that I did in one little morning. It makes all the difference. 

I want my home to be a place where my family wants to come home to. I want it to be comfortable, happy, cheerful (we do that with our words, actions, kind and gentle spirit), and peaceful. Getting it all shiny again makes me all the more ready to give to my family. 

When I was done cleaning I looked around and decided to add a few spring-y touches to our home - mostly in our kitchen and mudroom/entrance area. I listened to this soundtrack (click HERE) which makes me think of summer is coming - bright days - blue skies - which was just was I was in the mood for. It's the perfect soundtrack for decorating or when I need a burst of sunshiny-ness. 


I love this cheery spot in our kitchen with the little antique lamp I found in Vermont. (Scott painted it white for me)

I love vintage bowls, linens, and tiny vases of flowers. It all says to me, stay a while here. This is a happy place. 

I love this baking center and added some of my vintage tablecloths to all of the baskets to bring that 'spring will come' feeling to our home.  



Even the mudroom got a bit of a spring-y feel to it. Just a quick dust to the shelves and some vintage cheery tablecloths are just the touch it needs. 

Recently I've been reading this verse and I love it so. And this quote. They touch my heart. 

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother Teresa

I love home. I don't live in my 'perfect home'. Some people think that because I blog and instagram our home that I love it so much. I actually don't, ha! I do love so many parts to it. If I ever had to move you would have to rip the built in china cabinet outta my hands, ha!

But ya all... 

if I shine it all up

when I get to fill it with Connecticut colonial, country type furniture and all of the mugs I love, the dishes that love to change out... when then I do L O V E it! I do! 

Sometimes we gotta just shine things up and love what God gave us. So I suppose I've fallen in love with this old home of ours because I love to make it cozy, comfy, and filled with memories, love, and sweetness. And that is not just vintage tablecloths in a basket. That sweetness needs to come from my words, my work, my actions, my tenderness. And each day that is a choice. 

I read this recently in a book called Sanctuary: Creating a Blessed Place to Live and Love:

"God will stir up our hearts and allow us to live excellently and in abundance within our own homes." 

Isn't that just beautiful. 

And I also read:

"Be sure to show gratitude to God for your home today. 

  • appreciate the value of having shelter. Give thanks every single day that you have a place to call home, no matter how humble or elaborate your home may be. Take ownership of it and treat it in a way that is pleasing to God. 
  • spend less time dwelling on your future home or dream house and be grateful for the present blessings, the "right here" and "right now". 

So that's me: filling our home up with vintage-y goodness, keeping it tidy and clean, baking - it all inspires me to do what's even more challenging (I'm looking at your tiring days!) which is filling it up with joy and cheer and kind words or encouragement and love. Decorating is easy some days compared to that!

But don't ya just love that pie "cute as pie"? I just love it so much and that old, rusty pie holder too! 


And these tea cups have a cherry look to them, don't they? I've actually changed that whole mug rack since yesterday when I took this picture, ha! 




Well, that's my D O W N - H O M E - G O O D N E S S  blog post for today. Hoping it blesses you and encourages you to feather your nest with all the goodness and comforts of home. See ya all soon! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment