Friday, May 6, 2022

Beauty in Their Hearts - A Final Freshman Year College Concert and An Almost End Reflection

One of the reasons I started viola lessons for my girls when they were just 5 years old was for moments like this. Moments like this evening. 

Of course when I was a young mama and Anna was just 5, Abigail a baby, I didn't actually picture an orchestra concert in college.  Of course not. 


But I somehow knew way back then that if I could, I would fill their hearts, minds, eyes with as much beauty as possible. A well ordered home, pretty things to look at, to play with, beautiful books, all kinds of books. Music was just one more unique way to bring beauty into their lives. 


Viola at 5 and 6, 7 and 8, 9 and 10... all the way up to 18 wasn't always easy. There were challenges. There were times she didn't want to practice. There were orchestras she didn't seem to enjoy as much. But sticking with it, this was worth it. 


I had no idea that the beauty of music would so fill their lives that it would be something they choose to do as an adult. But oh how glad I am that Anna has. 

Anna college freshman year is coming to a close very soon. There are so many feelings (and another post) and reflection on that. I want to always remember what being in the Holy Cross Orchestra meant to her. Finding her seat, opening up her case, rosining her bow, tuning her stings, felt natural to her; almost like home. In a way, playing the viola in college was like bringing a part of home with her. 

It was more than that though. Although it felt "right" to her to play, she had a completely different experience in college orchestra than anything she had growing up. They were adults, it was her choice, it was warm and welcoming, and she knew this was what she wanted for herself. She chose it. 

I'll never forget late one night in the winter she was talking to me on the phone on her way back to her dorm and she said so clearly with such confidence in her voice, "I just love being in the orchestra." It was a different Anna, a coming into her own Anna, a new and excited Anna in only a way her mama could understand. 

I am gushing, so grateful for the College of the Holy Cross. As excited and in awe I was before she attended, it has far exceeded anything I could have hoped or imagined for my daughter. Orchestra is just one small part of that. 

On to the post... the concert!

I find it wonderful that this final concert for the year was in Saint Joseph's Chapel, for this is the place where Anna found growth, comfort, and security. And it is beautiful. 

We are so happy that all of her grandparents were able to attend. It was a spectacular night and my little girl was all grown up and happy. And made her daddy and I beam with joy. 

Here is a recording of the concert. It was spectacular. 

Beauty in her heart through the gift of music? Yes that is there. Beauty comes in all forms but I have found that these notes sing right into her heart (and ours) and find a place that creates lasting joy. 

Thank you Anna (when you are reading this one day) for putting your bow on your stings year after year. Thank you for making music on your viola and joining your notes with other in the orchestra. Your heart is filled with beauty and you have filled ours as well. 











Orchestra is first
Choir is next
47:10 is the start of the Holy Cross Alumni song (Anna is in the front)

No comments:

Post a Comment