Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Alaska ~ part ten (day at sea and Vancouver)

cruise day two 5

I'm going to combine the last two days because there aren't as many photos - and it's time to get back to regular days type of blogging!

So our last day on the ship was a cruise day. We simply relaxed, packed, and enjoyed the views as the ship headed back toward Vancouver.

cruise day two 1

It was perfect cozy type weather. Much too cold to swim on deck.

cruise day two 2

We loved hanging out on the lawn.

cruise day two 3

cruise day two 4

cruise day two 6

What seemed like a plain day back then - when I think about it, it was still pretty spectacular. We saw more humpback whales out of our balcony. And (boo hoo) all I got was their splash. They are so not photogenic!

cruise day two 7

cruise day two 8

We passed by towns that looked like this - I love picturing life in a small town - out in Alaska - and it always warms my heart when I see a church in the middle of town.

cruise day two 9

We had dinner that night, went to bed, and woke up in Vancouver. After a lovely breakfast on the ship in the main dining room we disembarked. I was really really sad - not at all ready to head home as I usually am at the end of a vacation.

But Vancouver cheered me up. We had a whole day there since disembarkment was at 9:30 AM and our flight didn't leave until 10:30 PM.

We were blessed that the hotel we stayed at (before the cruise) would hold our bags for us so that we could explore and enjoy Vancouver. And we loved our day!

cruise day two 10

We discovered such yummy food for lunch!

cruise day two 11

Crepes for Anna and I

cruise day two 12

And a vegan, whole foods type grocery store that made a soup Abigail wasn't allergic to for Scott and Abigail.

cruise day two 13

cruise day two 14

cruise day two 15

I knew that I'd miss being able to wash my sunscreen face that night since our flight left at 10:30 and I hate having anything on my face when I sleep at night so the girls and I didn't wear sunscreen - hats instead for us - no make up for me! I was so prepared for this night flight that I packed cozy PJs for the girls and sweats for me to wear on the plane - we changed at the airport right before the flight.

cruise day two 16

We took a taxi to the beautiful Stanley Park that afternoon.

If you ever happen to go to Vancouver (and we highly recommend it) please don't miss Stanley Park!

cruise day two 17

cruise day two 18

cruise day two 19

And then (sigh) we ended back where we started all of those days before - we had dinner outside at our hotel and took in the views one last time.

cruise day two 20

No one wanted to leave.

cruise day two 21

But our ship had already re boarded with another group and was headed back to Alaska. It was another families turn for magic.

cruise day two 22

cruise day two 23

And we headed home. Flew all night into Boston and got home to our CT house just before lunch the next day.

Since then we've been soaking in chill time for the past 3 weeks - we are so grateful to have been able to see part of God's creation and to have spent all of those days together.

Sigh again - I feel sad it is over - the summer vacation of 16 and 12 is gone. Thank goodness for the memories that fill my heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment