Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Teatime Discipleship

Anna came home from her summer job wanting to talk about something on her mind. She is working in a summer school program and since I am a classroom teacher I was able to understand her experience. We talked for a long time and then when reading later I was reminded of the importance of teatime discipleship. I love this book by Sally Clarkson. (this is the only picture I have of it). It's called Teatime Discipleship and it has really spoken to my heart. I have always believed in the importance of teatime to knit relationships closely together. Sally seems to say in that book what I've tried to explain on this blog of mine. But while my words are simple, hers are eloquent and make sense. 


 Here are a few quotes just from the beginning of the book that I love: 

💙 When the atmosphere has been created and the table has been laid with intentionality and care, we are drawn together to learn, encourage, and strengthen one another, welcoming one another into the deep things of God, the multifaceted dimensions of His love expressed. 

💙 We long for love, for a place to belong where we are accepted, limitations and all. We breathe only through the oxygen of love and will die spiritually if we do not have relationships where we can feel kindred with other who understand us. 

💙Our home and table can be a sanctuary for life, a holding place for all our ideals, an atmosphere of love, and an energy that engages dreams and inspiration. The profound work of a woman is to bring civility and order out of chaos, to bring beauty, intelligence, and excellence to her community, and to subdue her kingdom of home into a life-giving haven. 

💙As artists in our homes, we paint the canvas of our life stories with the colors we most love, the art and photographs and framed quotations we set in the center to discuss, the way we place furniture to create community, and the ways our tables are decorated to say, "Come here and feast and rest a while. Good food, conversation, and friendship are awaiting you. I have prepared a place for us. You are special and I love spending time with you." 

💙I love to love my people well; it brings me much pleasure to plan for ways to delight them, to bring unique touches into my environment that I know will especially please them, cultivating the ambience that will set the stage. 

💙I knew that as she was moving toward her teen years, she could us a little alone time with me to explore her thoughts, emotions, fears, and needs. This moment led to a years-long tradition that built us into best friends. Our sacred tradition of teatime devotions led to deep spiritual mother-daughter discussions,. 

💙 Jesus didn't talk about having a ministry from a broad, tall pulpit with a resounding microphone. He lived a deeply personal life, bowing His own knee to meet the needs of others. 

Love all of those points so much. 

So after we talked and then were reading together I invited Anna inside for one of our favorite recipes, homemade chai tea latte; foamy tasty milk, her favorite summertime china mug... I can't count the cups we have shared together creating warmth, comfort, and a place to share thoughts and feelings. 

It was the perfect way to let her know that I am always here for us -- and each cup together draws us more deeply into friendship. 



No comments:

Post a Comment