Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Chasing Christmas ~ Christmas Getaway Weekend to Nantucket

Oh my stars... we did it! Christmas Getaway Weekend is a special tradition in our family. It's a time when we do just that... get away to enjoy and soak in Christmas. Oh, for sure we soak in Christmas in our own home too but there is something about a new city or a small town all decorated for Christmas. We just love it. You can scroll to the end and read all about how this tradition and to read the story behind how the first Christmas Getaway Weekend started.  

This year our trip was a bit longer than just the 'weekend' and it was the girls big surprise Christmas morning present. Click HERE to see their reaction to this surprise. 

And here is our Christmas trip to Nantucket... 

We left our home a little before 6:00 AM and drove to Cape Cod (it's about two full hours) We left our car in the overnight parking the ferry terminal had and got out tickets. Oh why didn't I take any pictures of the ferry terminal? It was out of a magazine, so charming. For sure a Hallmark Christmas movie needs to film there. 

The ferry in the winter is almost empty - just a few families traveling to see relatives that live on Nantucket. We decided to sit upstairs and lounge out at a big long table. So relaxing. The girls loved buying pretzels and fun drinks at the snack bar. 


We talked, the girls were on their phones, and I edit Christmas morning photos I'd taken just a few days before. We relaxed for only two hours and then we were there! 


As soon at the port was in view we were out on deck taking it all in. We had the very best weather in the world for December. Bright blue skies, sunshine, and 40's for temps! Wow! 



Our first glimpse of that Nantucket lighthouse! 


And I couldn't wait to see the wreath. This island is so charming. I love it so much. I told Scott we need to buy a house there, ha! 



It's a postcard! 



It looked exactly like I thought it would look. I am certain that the word charming was invented on Nantucket. 💞


We were picked up at the Ferry by our hotel -- we stayed at the Nantucket Hotel (click HERE to see more) 


I love peeking at different hotels and the girls and I love looking back at pictures so I took a bunch of the room we stayed in. We completely loved our accommodations!! It was cozy and modern but also charming for what you might see in a sea village. 










Abigail loved her own bed tucked away. So sweet! 





And then it was off to explore (and have some lunch) 



Cobblestone streets, shops all decorated for the holiday season, and oh the window boxes... glorious! 



This bookshop was our favorite place to shop. We went back each day! 



More window boxes, Nantucket homes, and walking around the village. 









Main Street Nantucket is like walking in the 1800's - I tried to capture the magic of this Christmasy town. 








The window boxes are so extraordinary -- I couldn't stop taking pictures of them!


And the doorways are dressed for Christmas like I've never seen. 


We found ourselves in another bookstore. This one the most famous on the island. I love this photo oh so much. My girls 💞




I do think that Nantucket is the most sparkly place in December. (oh course New York City is sparkly, but just in a different way) 



Love this blue light and the just getting dark. We meandered back to the hotel for dinner. Oh the lights in the railing. 




The next day we headed to the beach - so peaceful and beautiful. (I wish I took a picture of our lovely breakfast in that same restaurant) 











We walked back to town and walked around all day. We also visited THIS museum. (loved it and learned so much about this island and the 'festival of trees') These pictures were taken from the top of the lookout at the museum. 






Lunch at this adorable place! 


Famous fudge shop on the island. 




Had to make sure we saw this - loved it in the daylight but went back again at night. 



After all of that walked we relaxed in our room for a while and then headed out to an old whaling pub for dinner. I took this from our window looking out - the sunset was so pretty and impossible to capture with my camera, as sunsets are. 


I couldn't wait to see the little boat with the Christmas tree lit up at night so pretty. It is such a simple thing but a 'Christmas on Nantucket' landmark and I adored it. I love how the lights glisten and reflect in the water. 



Another cozy night in our hotel with games we brought from home and just relaxing 




In the morning Scott and I went to Mass - I love love going to different churches. 





Abigail all cozy in her bed. She did not want to check out of this hotel. 


But we had to catch the noon ferry and so we packed up and headed out - a quick walk to the ferry area and off we went. 



So many pictures I didn't take - so many things I want to remember but they are stored in my heart. I am so grateful for this trip - for our tradition of 'Christmas Getaway' and for this time. Time time time with the four of us is so precious. 

Until next time Nantucket! 

Below are all of the past years: 

There is the link to 2019 "A 1773 Christmas Getaway Weekend" 

Here is a link to a look back at all of them. Read this one because it tells all about how it came to be all those years ago... 

Here's 2018

2017 and here

2016 and here 

2015  and here and here 

2014 (This one tells the whole story of them too) 

2013

2012

2011

2010

No comments:

Post a Comment