Thursday, December 16, 2021

Thoughts on Home at Christmastime

 


Do you ever look at pictures and think, "next year I'm going to decorate in all neutrals" 
or
"next year I'm going to do my living room like that"
or
"next year I'm going to try that on my staircase" 

Here is what I know...
we all get feelings like that
especially after social medio started
Sure, there were magazines 'back then' when we all wanted that magazine look. 

But now with social media we are bombarded with 'perfect' photos every second if we want to look.

Whenever I see something and doubt how my home looks or wonder, "gee, I should try that, it's so pretty," I remind myself

Trends come and go, but staying true to the soul of your home is classic. 

So is
decorating with things that make you smile (year after year) You don't need new every year (or ever) 

Think about what the purpose of decorating your home for Christmas and do it with those people you love in mind. Are you bringing light and life, joy and beauty, or are those 'things' you are trying bringing you stress and spending?

For me, decorating for Christmas is all about childhood. 
It's about connecting my beautiful Christmases of childhood with the childhood of my daughters. 

What do I remember about my childhood home at Christmas time?
warmth
the tree
flour on the table from cookie baking
the oven always on
good smells
family
the fun of big brothers
the strength of grandparents
pretty dishes
a new dress
Christmas Eve Mass 

So yes, I like to try new things but really the core of deorating for me is creating a place where those same Christmas time memories for my girls can flourish. 

Merry Christmas! 

Photo Description: In front of the living room Christmas tree is a tray with a vintage holly teapot, a little cup, and a creamer with a bit of a chip in it... all rescued from a thrift store. A candle is lit in a brass candle stick holder that was part of my childhood Christmases, and a vintage book ready to read. Oh and apples (real ones) sugared in a glass pedestal bowl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment