Friday, February 19, 2021

We Gave Valentine's Day Away

My girls are older and so as much as I want to, our Valentine's Day will never look like this again. 

(2014)

27 

And you know what? I don't really want them to look like that anymore. 

Because that would mean I wasn't living in THIS Valentine's Day - with a husband I adore and two sweet teenage girls. 

So when I was thinking and planning and looking for something I thought would be celebratory we decided to give it away. 

I am always looking for ways to teach my girls to reach out. To give back. To open their hearts toward others. To look away from themselves. 

And this Valentine's Day they enthusiastically and happily agreed to give it away. 

So we spent the whole day together (that is the best part of Valentine's Day anyway) doing for others.

And it was perfect. 

The girls created flower arrangements for their grandma's from a simple mason jar and grocery store flowers. 

They worked on Valentine cards. 





We baked some heart treats and bought some pretty chocolates. 




We arranged everything on a tray and drove to drop off our gifts of love. 




And then we came home and cooked an entire dinner for someone we love who is going through chemo treatment. 




Then we drove and dropped that off. 

The best part was arriving home; tired and fully full of the love we poured into other on this Valentine's Day. We plopped on the couch, ordered something simple to eat, and spent our tired evening relaxing together. 

I love that it wasn't about us - not about a beautifully decorated table - not about presents - not about us at all...

... in in some way, giving it away to others was giving to us. 

It truly is more blessed to give than receive. 

The most special Valentine's Day. 

Oh and it started with heart pancakes 💕



No comments:

Post a Comment