Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Night Before Second Grade

Dear Abigail,

Sigh, here we are again. How can we have such mixed feelings every year? We are both so excited about the year that is starting and both so sad too. You were so happy today in your Abigail summerness. You laughed. You cuddled. You held my hand when we walked. You played ponies with your big sister Anna (you call her sidekick). You took forever to eat your dinner. You needed help to brush your teeth. You read a Fancy Nancy book on my bed and only needed help with the fancy French words. You were all things normal today. Except for that tiny bit in the afternoon when you burst into tears and said, "I don't want to leave you. I don't want to go back to school."

3

Oh Abigail. Do you know what? Since I know that you're not reading this for years and years and years I can tell you the truth. I don't want you to leave me either. I know how I'll feel tomorrow. And I don't really like it. I'd rather your chatty play in the background. I'd rather your spontaneous dance parties in the kitchen and the stores when you recognize the song. I'd rather give you forever and a day to eat your toast at breakfast. All those things I'd rather. But I can't.

You are meant to be a second grader. All the things you will learn. All the things you will see. All the growth you'll make. There is so much waiting for you.

And to have you all to myself... that would be selfish of me. You were given a light by God that is to be shared. You love and you love well.

So take a deep breath my baby girl. Tomorrow is your day. Look back with a smile and a wave. And I'll be saying a prayer for you.

Share your gifts with everyone. Love all.

And know... I'll be waiting for you.

All my love in the world,
mommy

4

2 comments:

  1. Wishing her a blessed school year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sniff sniff
    oh the summerness...the giggles...the un-rushedness...can't we just have that ALL year!!:) guess it wouldn't be as special then right?:)
    she looks so sweet in these pictures.
    and i LOVE that dress!!!!:))
    have a happy day tara

    ReplyDelete