Sunday, March 28, 2021

Passing on Excellence of Mind and Heart

"The ways we live life, the habits we keep, the delight with which we celebrate and see our moments will shape our hearts, minds and souls for life. We must be careful to live well into the beauty that is possible so we can become beautiful inside and serve people from that place. " Sally Clarkson


So many things are a habit for us now - having the TV not on. That is a habit. It is only on for rare occasions, if necessary. We choose to fill our time face to face. In great books, listening to beautiful music, learning to play an instrument, growing and stretching, and making the time we are in our home magic. We are not a perfect family - no family is. But one thing I realize in mothering for sixteen years is that filling their days, our days with goodness, rich conversation, a home with a calm delight, that fills my soul and theirs as well. 

I don't spend a lot of time anymore on this blog - but I am not ready to let it go either. Teaching and raising my daughters fills my days. Being a homemaker, a wife... it's my heartbeat. I don't do anything perfectly - but I know what I love and how I want to fill my daughters days and hearts. 

"And so it is, we cannot pass on civility, beauty, intelligence, excellence of mind and heart, if we do not ourselves make these virtues a goal of our lives...

Whatever we pursue and cultivate will determine what we are also able to pass on to all who we encounter...

As stewards of our souls, we must seek to cultivate a garden of beauty--it must be a regular habit, a discipline, to expose ourselves to great minds, the best musicians, fine artists, great theologians, wonderful biographies--so that our souls will indeed reflect a museum of His great character and nobility--that of our great king." Sally Clarkson

I love that- as stewards of our souls we MUST seek to cultivate a garden of beauty.

Our weekend was beautiful and simple.

 Friday - these two spend so much time together. They are the best of friends. 



Saturday - a morning Bible study and a sweet mug for spring 


Sunday - Anna in her first live College of the Holy Cross class of 2025 seminar all about the first year. It was so exciting! 



and cookies for lunches this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment